Some other aspects of unrequited love: (these are of course from my personal experience, but I'd be pretty surprised if they weren't standard issue)

  • Guilt.

    Particularly in the situation where that incredible person you love is also a dear friend (and that friendship is reciprocal). If your friendship is true, you've probably told em of your love, and if you're lucky (as I am in this regard), e accepted it as fact, told you that e appreciates your feelings but is unavailable (and, if there is an unacceptable sexual mismatch, permanently so), and hopes that you find another wonderful person that can and will return your love.

    Bearing in mind the simple definition of love propounded by Robert Heinlein -- love is that condition in which the well-being of another person is more important to you than is your own[1] -- it's probably better if you don't bring up your feelings in conversation with your amour. And you have to have a good measure of Control in this regard, or your friendship may be a casualty of its lack. Nonetheless, you always want to, and occasionally you do so, in statements varying from "Sure; you know I'm always glad to" in response to a request for a favor, to "Nothing would make me happier" or something of that ilk when e asks you to lunch.

    Even though sometimes these remarks could easily appear in the context of a much less intense attraction, you both recognize the undercurrent of emotion, probably elaborated by the way you said it. The problem is, you know that when you let your feelings show, it's generally because you want so much for em to hear your love -- and, let's face it, you want em to be reminded of the suffering you endure on eir account. And you feel guilty because you know you did it because you like to hear it, and not because e needed to.

  • Arrogance. Haughtiness. A Holier-Than-Thou attitude

    This is probably mostly seen in the case where your love is not sexually attracted to persons of your gender, and has an SO. This stems from the imaginary debates you have with said SO about which of you loves em more; this tends to end with the irrefutable Oh yeah? Would you love em if e didn't love you in return? Would you love em if e was involved with someone else rather than you? Because I do.

    These thoughts don't tend to make one feel real good about oneself.

Who would have thought that I could work the Protestant work ethic into this writeup? We who yearn for love from a person who cannot give it fantasize that in a world where e would love us, e would share the most sublime joy in our mutual bond. But things that come easy are less highly prized, they say.
   cirrus...
   Socrates...
   particle...
   decibel...
   hurricane...
   dolphin...
   tulip

Seven arbitrary words, and we become beloved by our mahal. Is it any less real because of that? A question for philosophers, but in the deep recesses of our minds we would always wonder.

A person once said to me, after hearing my tale of woe, a remark I found quite hilarious:

Anyone who's never loved someone unattainable has never truly lived, though I wouldn't recommend it as a regular lifestyle!
Golly!, you can say that again.


[1] I took some liberty there. The actual quote is "'Love' is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."