I don't mind "making love" so much, however I prefer to call something what it is. "Making love" is good for poetry; for simple exposition, "having sex" is to be preferred. Though I prefer the English way of saying that, "sharing sex". (Doesn't apply to masturbation, obviously.) I think "sharing sex" would satisfy those who definitely want the listener to hear the romantic emphasis.

Many people like to reserve "making love" for romantic sex, and "fucking" for sex driven by hormones or just as a heckuva fun form of exercise. (My comment about euphemisms notwithstanding, I find "getting laid" to be coarse enough, though possibly heading toward the other extreme from romance.) While I also desire the distinction, I dislike using "fuck" to mean sex in general. Fucking is a particular activity which many sexual episodes, though by no means all[1], include. Extending the word is like using "chew" to mean "dine", when it is simply one of the procedures involved in the carrying out of the whole experience. Taking "fuck" to mean, at its root, coitus (the penetration of a vagina by a penis), gives us a very special word. It is one of two verbs that describe copulation (the other is left as an exercise to the student) and is the only one that can be used transitively. And, of all the slang words that people use (screw, ball, etc.), "fuck" is the only one that (etymology aside) doesn't mean something else. Fuck means to fuck!

But even for people who like the feeling of "making love", I have a request:

Please don't say "making love to...".
Say "making love with..."!
If you're sharing one of the most wonderful gifts that we humans have with another person who makes you quiver when e enters the room, don't make it sound like you hit em over the head with it!


[1]  I despise the copping-out people do when they claim that there is no sex in the absence of fucking.

"She's got the sweetest pussy, and her blowjobs just about kill me, but we're waiting until after the wedding to have sex."
I don't know if this self-deception started with the infamous President Bill Clinton, though I've certainly heard it a lot more since he "did not have sex with that woman".