It was another oppressively hot day in the city. I stood on the corner of LaSalle and Washington, clutching a newly bought Specials CD in my hand, giddily anticipating when I could go home and start blowing shit up.

Suddenly, wafting from behind me, I began to hear the music.

And you can tell everybody, this is your song

I turned around. A boy and a girl, both in their early twenties, with acoustic guitars, serenading each other. The girl was gorgeous. Not gorgeous in that fake buxom blonde sort of way, but in that brown-haired girl that lives next door and you want to love forever sort of way.

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

Between them was a guitar case. Inside the case, among lots of change and some random bills, was a sign saying “HELP US WITH OUR WEDDING.” Next to the sign was a black and white picture of them holding each other.

I hope you don't mind, I hope you don't mind

They stood there on the hot street corner, in the middle of downtown Chicago, singing their love songs to each other. Her voice was clear and wonderful, a perfect companion to his. They would throw smiles at passers-by, give out a “thank you” to anyone who gave them some change. Sometimes they would even turn and start singing directly to the small crowd that had gathered there while waiting to cross the street.

That I put down in words

For all of the noise there, the belching city buses, ambulances screaming by, a police whistle trying to keep the traffic in check, they never lost a note. Always staying in step. And you could tell, no matter who they were facing, that there was only one person that each of them was really singing that love song to.

How wonderful life is while you're in the world

I had a $100 bill that I won in Las Vegas last week sitting in my wallet.