ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) commonly known as ABS Brakes

The theory behind anti-lock brakes is simple. A skidding wheel (where the tire is sliding or locked up, against the road) has less traction than a non-skidding wheel. A quick proof is that while burning out (smoking) your tires from a start causes a slower start than a controlled start. Just watch drag racing. By keeping the wheels from skidding while you slow down, anti-lock brakes benefit you in two ways: You'll stop faster, and you'll be able to steer while you stop.

There are four main parts that make ABS work:

Speed Sensors

Speed sensors allow the system to know when a wheel is about to lock up, or in the case of some systems, when a wheel has locked up. The speed sensors, which are located at each wheel, or in some cases in the differential, provide this critical data.

Valves

There is a valve in the brake line of each brake controlled by the ABS. On some systems, the valve has three positions:

  • In position one, the valve is open; pressure from the master cylinder is passed right through to the brake.
  • In position two, the valve blocks the line, isolating that brake from the master cylinder. This prevents the pressure from rising further should the driver push the brake pedal harder.
  • In position three, the valve releases some of the pressure from the brake.

Pump

Since the valve is able to release pressure from the brakes, there has to be some way to put that pressure back, or else the brakes cease to function. That is what the pump does; the pump gets the pressure back up after the valves close.

Controller

The controller is the magical black box that controls all of this nonsense. This computer chip takes the data from the sensors and uses that information to decide when the valves need to open or close and when the pump needs to run. If this goes bad, ABS is disabled, and the car reverts to standard brakes.

ABS at Work

Here is a simple example of ABS at work:

The controller monitors the speed sensors. It is looking for decelerations in the wheel that are out of the ordinary. Right before a wheel locks up, it will experience a rapid deceleration. It might take a car five seconds to stop from 60 mph under ideal conditions, but a wheel that locks up could stop spinning in less than a second. This would lead to both a loss of steering control and a longer stopping distance (proof below in a seperate section).

The ABS controller knows that such a rapid deceleration is impossible, so it reduces the pressure to that brake until it sees an acceleration, then it increases the pressure until it sees the deceleration again. It can do this very quickly, before the tire can actually significantly change speed. This gives the system maximum braking power, as the wheels are using all of the friction physically avalible.

When the ABS system working you will feel a pulsing in the brake pedal; this comes from the rapid opening and closing of the valves. The system can operate the valves upwards of 15 times a second, much faster than a human foot can pulse the brake pedal.

Types of Anti-Lock Brakes

Anti-lock braking systems use different ways depending on the type of brakes in use. Normally the different types of systems are described by the number of channels (number of valves) and number of sensors.

Here are some of the most common systems:

Do anti-lock brakes really work?

Anti-lock brakes really do help you stop better. They prevent wheels from locking up and provide the shortest stopping distance on slippery surfaces.

The Flip Side

But do they really prevent accidents? This is the true measure of the effectiveness of ABS systems.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has conducted several studies trying to determine if cars equipped with ABS are involved in more or fewer fatal accidents. It turns out that in a 1996 study, vehicles equipped with ABS were overall no less likely to be involved in fatal accidents than vehicles without. The study actually stated that although cars with ABS were less likely to be involved in accidents fatal to the occupants of other cars, they are more likely to be involved in accidents fatal to the occupants of the ABS car, especially single-vehicle accidents. It is possible drives of ABS equipped cars believe that they can drive faster and still remain safe, though this belief is misfounded and dangerous.

Some people think that drivers of ABS-equipped cars use the ABS incorrectly, either by pumping the brakes or by releasing the brakes when they feel the system pulsing. Some people think that since ABS allows you to steer during a panic stop, more people run off the road and crash.

Some more recent information may indicate that the accident rate for ABS cars is improving, but there is still no evidence to show that ABS improves overall safety.

Proof that ABS allows cars to stop sooner that non ABS cars:

This proof is quite simple. When the tires are rolling, they have more friction against the road than tires that have locked up, thus are sliding. Here are some simple numbers:

The higher the number, the more friction (better stopping power) between tires and the ground.

Sources:

Physics: Principles with applications 5th edition Douglas C. Giancoli

ASE TECH: BRAKING SYSTEMS