Parkin is a filling, sticky ginger
cake made with oatmeal
, it is ideal for keeping out the 'parky
' weather. Being a family favourite, many different recipes* have evolved
for this traditional Yorkshire comfort food
, but the following is very easy to make.
- Line an 8" square tin with greaseproof paper
- Seive together the flour, baking powder and ginger into a bowl
- Rub in the fat
- Add the oatmeal and sugar
- Warm the syrup and treacle on a low heat (or microwave). Don't overheat
- Gradually stir this into the rubbed-in mixture in the bowl, also adding the egg and milk
- Pour into the tin and bake at 180°C/350°F, gas mark 4, for about an hour
- When done allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning out onto a cooling tray
- Store for about a week to mature. Serve cut into squares or fingers
* see http://home.freeuk.net/dacha/cook/10pr-0.htm for many more recipes!