The concept

A raise, in modern capitalistic corporate work place terms, is an addition made to an employee's periodical salary, due to one's accumulating experience and/or performances.

Salary raises differs greatly in accordance with the work place, economic system and situation.
Big corporations and government related companies may have a standard scale system of employees progress. An employee may get a raise on a periodic basis, skills and diplomas gained within company courses, or with a position promotion. Small independent businesses may have such a system as well, at least as a front. Usually, a raise in this kind of work place relies on the educated whim of the manager and owner.

In all types of work places a promotion is usually accompanied with a raise. The size of the raise varies and depends on many factors such as the local economic situation, but mainly on the importance of the new position. The bigger the responsibility the bigger the raise. Not necessarily with an equal ratio.

A raise may also be mandatory, dictated by the state from time to time, or by law. This is usually the case in countries where the economic system is based on socialist principles, and the welfare of the workers is protected by strong independent trade unions. In Western economies the minimum wages are updated periodically by law, to maintain their value in accordance with the rise of the inflation.
In Israel for example, the state may dictate a raise for government employees in certain cases. This happen when the inflation rises substantially and causes a substantial price rise. This raise is a measure to maintain the current value of government salaries. This kind of raise is called Added Value raise.

Getting a raise

The following part is highly subjective, but hopefully will benefit other skill-less teenagers making their first steps in the world of rock bottom jobs.

Every hard working, minimum wages earning, teenage employee comes to a career turning point. Either he keeps the lousy position in the lousy store/office/whatever -- this usually happens when the teenager actually takes interest in the job -- in hope of getting some kind of position promotion and eventually a raise. Or flushes the crappy, abusing, exploiting job to the sewer and back -- this usually happens when the adolescent really doesn't give a shit about the job, and/or is on the verge of raping the boss's daughter in front of the father nailed with his fat bottom to a chair -- in hope to find a better one, or just living off the unlimited resources of his loving procreators, if such are in existence.

My personal situation has led me to choose the first path. That is, I do take some pleasure and interest in some of my work. And frankly, as a high school drop out lacking any professional skill, this position, in that particular place - a bookstore, is more than I can hope for.

I have been working there for over a year now. I guess it is safe to say I am considered a reliable and experienced employee. Only up until now I have been making minimum wages. For some time I had been planning my brave request for an interview with my boss. Where I would begin by listing my qualities and accumulating experience gained throughout the past year. And hit a nerve when I would tally the number of people I am senior to and make more money than me, purely because of their age.

Being an iNTp type of guy (I took the test, honest), I of course postponed this interview as much as I could. My best friend who had been urging me to ask for the raise I deserved made a very smart observation of the situation:

"What the hell are You waiting for? You think they'll just suddenly remember you deserve a raise?!"

In a way I guess I did.

Funny how things work them selves out for us iNTp fellows.
As summer came and with it the busy season of my department, the school text books, I have been made the unofficial supervisor of the department and in charge of the thousands of personal orders placed throughout the chain.
I was promoted.
I did not get a raise.
Only more responsibility.
A lot More.
I still was reluctant to ask for one.

Finally, over a month after my unexpected position promotion, and over a year in that work place, I ran in to my boss. And during a very casual talk about very casual subjects, she casually commented:

"You've been making minimum wages, haven't you? Yea, I gave you a raise yesterday."

It seems hard work does pay eventually. Though the raise I got is quite insignificant.
Don't be like me.
Be assertive. Not weak.
Or get a lobotomy if you're 'diagnosed' as iNTp.