Prestigious Ivy League university located in Ithaca, New York, USA. Known for its liberal student activists and racial strife, as well as its hotel school and engineering program (among others). Scenic green tree-lined campus, when it isn't covered in 2 feet of snow. Since sports is my main topic of expertise, I present...

Cornell sports

Cornell sports are interesting in that ice hockey gets more fan support than basketball or football. Lacrosse and wrestling also get strong support, and often outdraw the men's basketball team. The team name is the Big Red.

The men's hockey team is the main "place to be seen" sport at Cornell. Historically, Cornell has one of the better hockey teams in the nation, winning the NCAA championships in 1967 and 1970. In 1970, Cornell won all 29 games they played, the only perfect season in NCAA hockey history. Famous former Cornell hockey players include Ken Dryden and Joe Nieuwendyk (currently of the Dallas Stars). The hockey team competes in the ECAC and plays its home games at Lynah Rink, whose seating capacity of 3822 is usually full.

The men's lacrosse team has about as much history as the ice hockey team, winning NCAA titles in 1971, 1976 and 1977. Cornell also lost in the championship game in 1978, 1987, and 1988.

Cornell football has had much less success than the above two teams. The football squad has won the Ivy title in 1971, 1988, and 1990; all three times tied with another team. (The Ivy League does not have any tiebreakers. If two or more teams finish with the same record, all the tied teams are declared champions.) Cornell football is most known for their all-time leading rusher, Hill Street Blues actor Ed Marinaro.

Cornell men's basketball has traditionally been near the bottom of the league. The Big Red's only Ivy title since the 1950s came in 1988 (that year, Cornell got destroyed by Arizona 90-50 in the first round of the NCAA tournament). However, that was the last time a team other than Penn or Princeton won the league.

Wrestling, men's soccer, and polo are other sports in which Cornell has been traditionally strong. However, hockey's numero uno to most students who care about sports at all.