This is a recipe my mum used to make this tasty treat. It has an interestingly textured, crunchy outer shell and a gooey sweet inside. The only really tricky part of this recipe is all the whipping you have to do for the meringue.

Pavlova Desert Cake

6 egg whites
3 tbsp water
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 and a half cups superfine sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
1 and a half teaspoons vanilla

Beat egg whites(make sure that there is NO yolk in the white, otherwise the cake will be ruined), with a pinch of salt, until they are foamy.
Gradually add sugar to egg whites until the mixture starts to form stiff peaks.
Beat in the water.
Add cornflour, vinegar, vanilla and water, mix well.
Pour the meringue mixture onto a cookie sheet that has been covered with damp parchment paper.
Try to get the pile of meringue high, instead of spread out. The cake will do plenty of that on its own.
Cook in an oven on the bottom shelf at 250 degrees F for half an hour, then 200F for three-quarters of an hour.
Leave to cool for about 20 minutes in oven, then remove.
The pavlova will have cracked and fallen, this is okay.
Coat the top and sides with whipped cream (filling that big indentation in the middle while you're at it)
Put fresh fruit on top. My personal favorite was always strawberries, blueberries and kiwifruit.