Born in London in 1893 Victor Gollancz made his name as a publisher. Working first for Benn Brothers, which was run by Ernest Benn, the brother of politician William Wedgwood Benn. He employed the novellists H.G. Wells and Edith Nesbit. He also was the contributing factor to the increase in profits the company experienced during his tenure there.

However, political and personal differences between Gollancz and Ernest Benn led to Gollancz leaving to start up his own publishing company. This proved to be an immediate success and allowed Gollancz free reign to publish material which supported his increasingly left-wing views. He formed the Left Book Club to produce literature that would counter the rise of facism in Britain. It's most famous publication being The Road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell in 1937. This success led to the founding of weekly left-wing journal Tribune which counted Aneurin Bevan among it's initial supporters.

Following the Second World War Kingsley Amis and John Updike were added to Victor Gollancz's roster of authors. During this time Gollancz was also involved in lobbying for the aboltion of capital punishment and the campaign for nuclear disarmament (CND). He died in 1967.