Intelligent and articulate, Ruud Gullit is undoubtedly one of the greatest players modern football has produced. His all-around approach to the game is typically Dutch, blending superb individual skill with a capacity to fit into the framework of a team. However, his strong opinions on how the game should be played have often led to off the field quarrels with bosses at both domestic and international level.

Gullit began his career playing as sweeper for Haarlem in 1979 and within two years had established himself in the Dutch national side. A year later he transferred to Feyenoord where he picked up winners' medals in the League and Cup in 1984, this time playing as an attacking midfielder. As could be expected, he made the positional switch with characteristic ease. In 1985 he moved to PSV Eindhoven but stayed for only two seasons before signing to Italian giants AC Milan for a world record £6.5 million. At this point Gullit established himself as a genuine star; first he was honoured with the European Footballer of the Year and World Footballer of the Year awards in 1987, then a year later he captained Holland to European Championship glory and Milan to the Serie A Title.

A recurring knee injury over the next couple of seasons caused concern, but could not prevent Gullit's participation in the Milan team that became the dominant force in world football. He helped lift the European Cup twice (1989 and 1990), European Super Cup and World Club Championship in addition to regular honors on the domestic scene.

Six glorious years at Milan ended when, after a series of disagreements with coach Fabio Capello, Gullit found himself unable to hold down a regular first team place. He transferred to Sampdoria for the 1993/94 season, returned briefly to Milan then rejoined "Samp" where he maintained superb form. He finally ended his Italian adventure in 1995 by completing a shock move to Chelsea, where he eventually took over the role as player/manager. He spent almost 3 years at Chelsea, before his sacking and replacement by Gianluca Vialli. Gullit subsequently took over Newcastle United but resigned less than a year later. He hasn't been heard from since.