Nachos / Tortilla Chips

There is no difference between the two, except that other condiments go with the tortilla chips to become nachos. Chips alone are just tortilla chips. Tortilla chips are very easy to make, and far better made fresh than anything out of the bag. I make these for guests and have received many compliments. Here's a chip recipe, and some more to go with it.

Tortilla Chips

  • corn tortillas
  • salt
  • vegetable oil for frying

Heat the oil in a large skillet or a wok for frying. Cut the tortillas into pie-shaped wedges.
Fry the tortillas in hot oil until crisp.
Remove and drain on paper towels.
Salt to taste and serve with guacamole and salsa.

Taco Dip

Brown hamburger. Add taco seasoning, taco sauce and refried beans. Mix well. Pour into loaf pan; spoon sour cream over and sprinkle with the cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Eat with tortilla chips.

Jalapeno Bean Dip

Cut off tops of peppers. Combine whole peppers and remaining ingredients in saucepan.
Simmer 15 minutes, adding water if needed, to keep beans from sticking to bottom of pan.
Allow mixture to cool and remove peppers. Serve dip with fresh vegetables.

NOTE: This is a Mexican dish, but can easily be an appetizer when served with crackers.

Salsa Cruda

  • 4 tomatoes, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 4 ounce can diced green chilies
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Combine all the ingredients, refrigerate until ready to use.

Guacamole

  • 2 large ripe avocados
  • juice of 1 lemon or lime
  • 2-3 tablespoons salsa
  • dash of hot sauce
  • salt & pepper to taste

Cut the avocado lengthwise down to the seed and pull the two halves apart.
Remove the seed.
Scoop out the avocado meat.
Mash with lemon juice.
Mix in remaining ingredients, use right away.