Waterways, wildlife, wildflowers, wonderment and wetlands all sum up the glorious beauty that is the Boondall Wetlands, Brisbane’s largest Wetlands that lie on the edge of Moreton Bay between Nudgee Beach, Boondall and Shorncliffe. This beautiful area is a natural habitat and migratory wading bird site that has a bike and walking path winding through this enchanted place.

Until recently, most of Brisbane’s bushland and Wetlands were unprotected and destined to be buried under canal estates, housing developments and highways due to the ever growing population on the coast. In the early 1990’s under increasing pressure from the community the Brisbane City Council began purchasing and protecting large tracts of bushland and wetland. So far these areas consist of the Boondall Wetlands, the Tinchi Tamba Wetlands and Bayside Parklands.

The Boondall Wetlands have a history filled with Indigenous and European roots. The Indigenous peoples have made their lasting impression by the amount of artwork that can be seen along the various winding trails when they had lived there before the arrival of the Europeans. Later it was owned by the Catholic Church and was marked for development into a massive Olympic Village until the Brisbane City Council acquired it.

In 1996 the city council underwent the program with various artisans, environmental specialists and engineers to protect these wetlands from urbanization and provide safe haven for the indigenous animals and plants in the area. Also an environmental centre was erected to educate visitors about the fragile and important surrounding areas.

The Boondall Wetlands also caters to the visitors that venture through the paths. There is a visitor centre, picnic areas, bikeways, walkways and even a bird hide along with an observation tower overlooking the area. Boats can be launched off Nudgee Beach Road and canoes at O’Quinn Street. The area is also perfect for a kayaking adventure through the mangroves.