A condition occurring most often in the early morning, brought on by the sounding of one's alarm clock. This condition first began appearing shortly after the invention of the snooze button-- a button on one's alarm clock which, when pressed, temporarily silences the alarm, allowing the user to sleep an extra 5 to 10 minutes before the alarm will sound again.

Snooze Button Syndrome, or SBS, occurs when the sleeper is sufficiently fatigued that, upon hearing the alarm, he/she feels unable or unwilling to wake up, and as a result, uses (or overuses) the snooze button to allow a limited period of continued sleep. Persons having SBS will sometimes not return to sleep, but simply contemplate how late they can sleep (for example, considering how much time they actually require to prepare for work, school, etc.) and attempt to calculate how many times they can press the snooze button. Complicating this is the fact that the judgment of SBS sufferers is often biased by fatigue, causing them to misjudge the amount of time they require, thus sleeping later than intended.

Side effects can include oversleeping, and consequent tardiness. Although experiments have been attempted using stimulants such as caffeine, there is no known chemical cure for Snooze Button Syndrome. At present, the condition can only be overcome by will power, as the sleeper must consciously override their desire to abuse the snooze button.