At just about 13 hours after the attacks began, it looks like all the available facts have been noded; nevertheless, I apologize in advance for going against the grain and editorializing.

Today's terrorist attacks have been compared with Pearl Harbor, the attack that began America's war with Japan. That conflict ended with the use of nuclear weapons, and I very much hope that this one will have a happier ending. No doubt the loss of life has not ended, but I join the rest of the world in hoping that those responsible are swiftly and harshly brought to justice.

Terrorism is not just violence, but violence intended to frighten and disrupt the lives of ordinary people. By that definition, today's unprecedented attack was a remarkably (and I hesitate to use the word...) successful act of terrorism. I say that because it destroyed much more than buildings and airliners. It not only killed the thousands of innocent victims, but killed a part of each of us today. This was a very powerful attack on the American way of life.

It succeeded because for the first time in American history, all commercial flights were grounded. Because it shut down the New York Stock Exchange (a major blow to world commerce). Because it sent countless people rushing to buy gasoline in the fear that they might not afford it the next day. Because it shook more than the foundations of buildings, landmarks, things. It shook people. Hundreds of millions of people. It succeeded because for the better part of a day, it brought the most powerful nation on earth to a dead stop, and made us realize just how vulnerable we are.

But it has also failed.

Because where this attack has horrified and stunned countless millions, it has also united those people against a common enemy. Because today I walked through my building and saw all of my neighbors tuned into CNN. For at least one day, America shared something. Fear, loss, and anger. A need for justice, which must, and will be satisfied.

For one day, somewhere in the world a group of terrorists will celebrate victory. Their failure is that it will be short-lived; tomorrow will be a new day. And they will soon become the targets.