Apollyon's Adventures in India

back to August 21, 2006

Before I left Jalgaon I was asked to read a book. Well they called it a 'hand written English science magazine'. The local kids put together 'Horizon' as a school project. I think I meet all 80 of them. The book is held as common property and it is shared with anyone who is interested. In the front there are pages available for people to leave their comments; you know upvotes, downvotes, that sort of thing. (Stop me if this sounds familiar)

This is what I wrote:
It is unusual to be asked to experience a new tradition! I think that this should be an annual event, so that every student has an opportunity to learn about science in this way. You have bravely chosen to cover advanced topics. 'features of brain' for example has facts that I was taught at university!
The drawing is fun and informative, and it is particularly refreshing for me to see something that hasn’t been made using a computer. Your approach has made this project far more personal and valuable.
Congratulations.
The best thing about the whole experience is that the kids did it without any access to a computer. Do you remember that? The out of date libraries? Alphabetised cards? References resources and research? Being nine?

It's a different world.

Women in India weep. Weeping is almost silent. The breathing is just a bit louder than normal and tears collect behind glasses.
The onomatopoeic ‘cry’ is what babies do. Weeping is a quiet but powerful emotional expression. It shows a different type of female strength than I am used to. It is an attempt not to affect other people with your tears, but it has the opposite effect. Like a quiet river's surface, with dangerous undercurrents below.
Total Emotional Riptide.
Goodbye Mrs Chowkidar.

Forward to August 26, 2006