Parmigianino, otherwise known as Girolamo Francesco Maria Mazzuoli, was one of the early High Mannerist painters.

He lived from 1503 to 1540. Born in Parma, he worked along side the famous Correggio.

After aquiring considerable skill in his studies, Parmigianino moved to Rome in 1524, where he became a regular painter and a prime choice for the Papal Court. The aristocratic society and the cultural elite both hailed him as a new Raphael and as the choice artist of the times.

Some of Parmigianino's earlier works include sections of the Madonna della Steccata Church, worked on from 1531 to 1539.

Parmigianino broke from early Mannerism, which was dominated by figures such as Rosso and Pontormo,

He is perhaps is the perfect example of the High-Mannerist artist. His human forms are impossibly long and contorted, the level of elegance and impossible perfection of form astronomical.

Perhaps one of his most famous paintings, and certainly some sort of apotheosis of High Mannerism, is his Madonna Collelunga.

Madonna is seated in the classic Pieta pose, with Jesus as a baby strewn across her lap. I say strewn because of his impossibly long, serpentine body, making him occupy far too much space.

He was drawn this way to amplify the sense of grace and perfection. Madonna is also painted impossible tall, and has a neck which alone is several vertebrae too tall.

She is supposed to be the picture of arrogant perfection, and some may argue that she is.

The painting was commisioned by Elena Baiardi for the Baiardi Chapel,in the Church of Santa Maria dei Servi, in Parma.

Symbols in the painting include a large column in the background, which may or may not represent the gateway to heaven. Also, a man is painted in the background with an unfurled scroll, representing the foretelling of the flagellation of Jesus.

The painting currently hangs in the Galleria Degli Uffizi in Florence, and masures 216 by 132 centimeters.

Parmigianino was also known for his prints, which better display his capture of emotive energy.

--------

part of Anonomy's crusade to populate E2 with Art History