A science fiction role playing game (RPG) first published in 1977. Authored by Marc Miller, Loren Wiseman, Frank Chadwick and others. Published by the Game Designers Workshop (GDW). Since its publication it has undergone a number of revisions and there have been (as of april 2002) six editions of the game.

It features one on the most fully developed game backgrounds of any RPG. During its heyday (roughly 1977 to 1985) it was standard against which all other SF RPGs where measured. It still has many devoted fans and remains widely played.

The first edition was originally known simply as Traveller (note the English spelling). This initially comprised three basic volumes (Characters and Combat, Starships, and Worlds and Adventures) in a boxed set. This edition was noted for its lack of illustrations and simple but striking black cover (giving the common nickname of the "Little Black Books"). This basic set was then extended by numerous supplements (13), additional rule books (5), adventures (2 full campaigns, 13 full length, plus 6 shorter double adventures), alien modules (8) and games (5). The basic rules were also published in three additional formats (single hardcover book, single softcover book and boxed starter edition with two low level adventures). This edition is know usually referred to as "Classic Traveller" to differentate it from subsequent editions. Unfortunately however, by 1986, the game mechanics were showing both their age and the strain of ten years of uncoordinated tweeks and additions and were in dire need of an overhaul.

The next version was published in 1987 and was called Megatraveller. This was the first version that tied the game to a specific background setting (the "Shattered Imperium"), though this was simply an extension of the unofficial game setting that GDW had been developing since the games first publication. While the game continued to be published by GDW, the actual production had been subcontracted to another company (Digest Group Publications or DGP) This version was noted for poor (some claim almost totally non-existant) proof-reading and editing; and it required extensive errata. There was also controversy regarding the game mechanics. While clearly decended from the previous Classic Traveller mechanics it introduced a number of new concepts. Some thought it overly complex and difficult to learn, while others regarded it as the elegant and easy to learn. There were also grumblings regarding the direction which the background setting was taking (especially towards the end of this versions "life").

In 1992, GDW retook control over Traveller, and published an new version. This was know as "Traveller - The New Era" (usually abbreviated to TNE). This edition introduced two radical changes. The first was the game mechanics. They were totally rewritten and bore no relationship to either Classic Traveller or Megatraveller. They were infact a development of a new set of mechanics that GDW had developed for its other games (2300, Twilight 2000, etc.) and adopted as it house rules. The second major change was to the setting. While it was theoretically simply an extension of what had gone before, it actually totally overthrew the previous setting. It involved the total destruction of the previous interstellar civilisation by a malicious AI computer virus. Many long time players found themselves incapable of the suspension of disbelief required. These two changes resulted in many long term fans abandoning the game. However the game continued to be published until GDW's eventual demise in 1995, at which point the rights reverted back to the original authors (though controlled by Marc Miller).

After the demise of GDW, Marc Miller licenced a new company, Imperium Games (owned by Sweetpea Entertainment, who would later go on to produce the D&D movie), to produce another revised version of the game. The new version was known as either Marc Miller's Traveller (MMT) or more commonly as 4th Edition Traveller (T4) and was released in 1996. This edition's game mechanics were derived from the original Classic Traveller rules (though there were also elements of Megatraveller). Unfortunately this version was a disaster. The production of the core rules was rushed and the proof-reading and editing were extremely poor (generally regarded as worse than Megatraveller). Subsequent books in the line continued to show poor production quality, and their content was mixed (ranging from good to dire). Also Imperium Games proved to have rather lacklustre business sense. Eventually after two years Marc Miller revoked the licence and the project collapsed.

At the same time as T4 was drawing to its sad end, Marc Miller authorised Steve Jackson Games (SJG) to do a version of Traveller using the GURPS mechanics (by 1997 it was widely felt that Traveller was no longer a set of game rules with a game setting, but had become a game setting completely independent of any rule set). Loren Wiseman (one of the original Traveller authors) was hired by SJG to write the core rules and oversee the product line. This appears to have been a critical difference from other versions. Since its release in 1998, GURPS Traveller has been marked by a consistant flow of (usually) high quality supplements.

In 2001 QuikLink Interactive, announced that they would be producing another version of Traveller, but this edition would utilise the D20 game mechanics, published by Wizards of the Coast. This version is known as T20. It should be noted that GURPS Traveller is still being produced and that there are no plans by either Marc Miller or Steve Jackson Games to alter this. It is expected that GURPS Traveller and T20 will be produced and marketed independently of each other.

In addition to the above, Marc Miller apparently intends to release yet another version at some stage in the near future. Based on a revised and updated (and hopefully error checked) version of the 4th Edition rules, it is usually referred to as T5. Also Marc Miller (in the guise of Far Future Enterprises) is currently reissuing the entire Classic Traveller catalog.