Small, plastic bottles of soapy water are sold as toys intended for small children. Typically, some pastel coloring is added to the solution, and the screw-capped bottle also contains a plastic "wand" which is molded into a circular loop about two centimeters in diameter at each end. The loop at the handle end of the wand is as thin as the straight segment of plastic it's connected to, but the other end's loop is considerably thicker and ridged on its outside.

The bubble-making end is dipped into the solution, which forms a thin film across the open loop. Blowing across this loop will then produce bubbles.

It takes a bit of control to do this properly. Blow with too much force, and the soap film will simply break and you won't get any bubbles. But if you blow too softly, a single bubble will just keep growing, eventually becoming unstable and popping since it isn't being pushed hard enough to break free from the wand. Blowing with the proper intensity should result in an aesthetically pleasing stream of midsized bubbles. It's not hard to do, of course; it was designed for little kids.

This activity tends to be much more interesting when performed outdoors. Indoor confinement and lack of air currents just result in a bunch of bubbles falling to the floor. Outside, bubbles will drift every which way, even in apparently calm air, as they're light enough that the slightest vorticity will quickly disperse them. On a larger scale, they tend to follow the prevailing winds and updrafts around buildings. Blowing soap bubbles is an excellent way to see for yourself that the atmosphere is indeed a chaotic system.

Evaporation gives soap bubbles a lifespan on the order of seconds, though this seems to be a function of humidity. Collisions with solid objects generally result in the bubbles' destruction; however, a freshly-made soap bubble often has sufficient elasticity to bounce off a smooth, hard surface. While thinner bubbles containing less soap solution will evaporate sooner, they don't necessarily last longer than heavier ones, which become unstable as the earth's gravitational field disrupts the balanced distribution of the bubble's mass.

Though intended as inexpensive "fun" for children, soap bubbles can also be an effective relaxation device for the nominally adult, particularly those whose scientific or artistic bent gives them a greater appreciation for intricate detail. The swirling rainbow interference bands on a bubble's surface are fascinating, and fine-tuning bubble sizes is an art in itself. They're also an excellent way to entertain (or infuriate, I'm not really sure which) a dog or cat, which will chase down bubbles with great vigor until becoming bored once it realizes it can't catch them.