Sixteen US Presidents
are known to have been Freemasons
. They're listed below, along with the lodges into which they were initiated.
- George Washington, Fredericksburg Lodge #4, Fredericksburg,VA
- Thomas Jefferson, Charlottesville Lodge #90, Charlottesville, VA
- James Madison, Hiram Lodge, Westmoreland County, VA
- James Monroe, Williamsburg Lodge #6, Williamsburg, VA
- Andrew Jackson, Harmony Lodge #1, Knoxville, TN
- James K. Polk, Columbia Lodge #31, Columbia, TN
- James Buchanan, Lodge #43, Lancaster, PA
- Andrew Johnson, Greenvile Lodge #119, Greenville, TN
- James A. Garfield, Magnolia Lodge #20, Columbus, OH
- William McKinley, Hiram Lodge #21, Winchester, VA
- Theodore Roosevelt, Matinecock Lodge #80, Oyster Bay, NY
- William Howard Taft, Occasional Lodge, Cincinnati, OH
- Warren Harding, Marion Lodge #70, Marion, OH
- Franklin D. Roosevelt, Holland Lodge #8, New York, NY
- Harry S Truman, Belton Lodge #450, Belton, MO
- Gerald Ford, Malta Lodge #465, Grand Rapids, MI
The Masons no longer officially claim Jefferson and Madison, citing lack of conclusive evidence, but they're included in most of the non-Masonic sources I've seen. Also, Lyndon B. Johnson was an Apprentice in Johnson City Lodge #561, Johnson City, TX, but never became a full Mason.
Numerous other prominent figures in all branches of the US Government (far too many to list here) are and have been Masons.
The effects of this unpublicized affilation on American government and history are left to the reader's imagination. Conspiracy theories abound, but no one has ever been able to prove anything.