The following method is simple and time-tested, however, the standard disclaimer1 does apply:
- Depress the brake-pedal just enough to engage the tail-lights of your vehicle and after a brief moment, release the pressure to create a flash of light. Repeat this three or four times to signal your annoyance.
- If the tailgater persists or further decreases the distance between your vehicles, slow your vehicle down gradually by removing pressure from the gas-pedal.
- After your vehicle has deccelerated by 10 or more miles per hour, downshift the trasmission; or, if your transmission is an automatic one, make preparations to accelerate.
- With your left foot, depress the brake pedal slightly to engage your tail-lights.
- Quickly stomp down on the gas-pedal.
- As your now ex-tailgater slams on their brakes in panic from your still-engaged tail-lights, turn around and wave goodbye.
1: Amoeba Protozoa is not responsible for injury or damage, including but not limited to, persons, property, animals small and large, the ozone layer, or the space-time continuum; resulting from the proper or improper execution of this or any simular procedure. Results may vary. Void where prohibited. May contain small parts. Adult supervision recommended.