Whenever I am abroad or elsewhere in the US besides where I live, people always want to know interesting things about my homeland. I once had a guy from New York tell me that I couldn't be from Texas if I'd never owned livestock.

I'm here to tell you that Texas is exactly what you think it is, but it's also everything you think it isn't. A perfect example of this is the indigenous (I think) beer barn.

A beer barn is in fact an actual barn, usually off of a major highway like I-35 or I-20, in a county where the sale of alcohol is permitted. (In Texas ther are counties which are dry.) It is a barn-shaped building with the double door at the front and back of the barn open. And, in this barn, there are two things:
  1. An attendant

  2. and
  3. alcohol.

You cannot purchase liquor at a beer barn, only beer, wine, and perhaps an assorted meat snack or giant pickle.

I've neglected to mention the most compelling aspect of the beer barn as of yet: It's a drive-thru.

I'll give you a minute to wrap your brain around that. Yes, a drive-thru beer store.

Maybe its because I grew up around it, but I didn't think this was a big deal until I moved up east and people started calling me a liar. Hell, people in Los Angeles didn't believe me and you can have beer AND smokes delivered there!

Rononspoon has alerted me to the fact that a relative of his owned such an establishment in the late seventies. This one was in Kansas City. The phenom spreads!