(A nodeshell challenge from graceness)

Let's dispense with the bullshit, shall we?

What we have at this exact moment is an extremely delicate relationship... almost a symbiosis, if you will. The key to making this work is not assuming what the other person in the relationship wants.

I don't understand your motive; I don't pretend to have a firm grasp of why you are even here in the first place. I'm okay with that, because I DO understand that I don't need to know why you are here in order for this relationship to be sucessful.

In order for this to work out right, all that needs happen is for you to understand what I want and what I need and what it has to do with you.

I don't want to hear your life story. I don't want to have sex with you; I appreciate that perhaps you find me attractive or think that making love to me would fulfill some sort of deep-seated need you have, but that isn't what this about. If you can't accept these things then we probably would be better off without each other.

What I need is for you to listen to my problems, my complaints. Don't offer advice unless I ask for it. Don't touch me unless I touch you first.

As I'm describing in lurid detail every excuse and imagined impetus I've got for why my life is in a shambles (vol. II), all you have to do is listen, or at least look like you're listening and not interrupt.

What I really want, more than anything, is for my troubles to be a puddle on your shoulder - nothing more, and nothing less. Well, maybe less. We'll just have to see.

Do this right and someday I may return the favor. Just realize that for once in your life, someone that needs something from you is being honest; if you are able to realize the levity of this situation, we'll get along just fine.