This node is specific to self-mutilators trying to help fellow self-mutilators; after all, who better to help than someone who's been or is going through it?

I've found this to be a remarkable way to create a sense of understanding between yourself and another cutter. It's extremely simple, and in the cases I've tried it, it's always been effective. If it's not, nothing is lost.

Ask them if they can't stop looking at their scars.

Most cutters I know, and most cutters the cutters I know know, have a strange predilection for looking at their cuts all the time; neither myself nor anyone I've talked to has any idea why this is. They generally won't even realize they're doing it until you ask them.

Although it does little to help them physically or mentally, emotionally this does wonders, making the person you're trying to help feel much less alone. Even if they don't feel like they're the only one with that problem, it binds you to them in a way of secret understanding; while I was not necessarily feeling like the only one in the world that cuts himself, my friend asked me this, and I felt a whole new sense of connection with her that was utterly amazing, and though I knew she had gone through the same kind of thing, I never realized how much she understood what I was feeling well enough to pick out something totally obscure like that and bring it to light.

Just a suggestion, and YMMV, as always.