It's easy to obtain now that Skyline has a website: www.skylinechili.com. My wife (who grew up in Cincinnati) was suffering severe Skyline withdrawal symptoms until we found this site.

The cinnamon (and most of the other spices) belies the Mediterranean influence in its formula, and any Cincinnati chili recipe you may find that doesn't include cinnamon indicates that the cook has no idea what he's talking about. Specifically, Skyline was founded by a Greek immigrant. He chose the name because he had a particularly nice view of the Cincinnati skyline from his original location. Times change, though, and the silhouette of the skyline that forms the backdrop for the logo in no way resembles the current Cincinnati skyline, from any possible vantage point.

There are three options for serving Skyline chili properly over spaghetti:

  • 3-way: Topped with cheese
  • 4-way: Topped with cheese and red beans xor chopped onions
  • 5-way: Topped with cheese, red beans, and chopped onions

For authenticity, the cheese must be finely shredded mild Cheddar, piled high (you'll know you've got enough when you can't see the chili through the spaces between the shreds), and the pasta must be spaghetti (not vermicelli or thin spaghetti). Tabasco and oyster crackers should be on hand for garnish.

Warning: do not attempt to eat with the usual fork-twirling method, or you will splatter yourself with the broth and meat juices -- cut the spaghetti up.