Introduced in 1807, the Capped Bust Half Dollar replaced the previous Draped Bust design. Continuing with the effort to provide a uniform look to the coins of the era, the Capped Bust Half Dollar reflects the designs of the Quarter, Dime, and Half Dime. The coin has a diameter of 32.5 millimeters, a weight of 13.48 grams, and is composed of .8924 silver, and .1076 copper.
Designed by John Reich, the Capped Bust Half Dollar features Lady Liberty on the obverse, facing left, flanked by six stars on the right and seven on the left, for a total of thirteen. The word "LIBERTY" appears on the mobcap holding her hair, and the year is displayed at the bottom. The reverse of the coin depicts an eagle with a Union Shield superimposed on to its breast, clutching three arrows in its right claw and an olive branch in its left. The denomination mark of "50 C." appears at the bottom of the coin's reverse, and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" arcs along the top, while "E PLURIBUS UNUM" is displayed via a ribbon just above the eagle's head.
The coin's design was modified twice in 1836. The first modification added a reeded edge to the coin, as well as placing the word "CENTS" on the reverse. The second modification kept the reeded edge, however "CENTS" was removed, and replaced with the words "HALF DOLLAR". After modification, the coin's composition changed to .900 silver and .100 copper, and the diameter shrunk to 30 millimeters.
The design ended its run in 1839.
United States Coinage