Fry bread is a traditional flat bread fried in oil. This bread can be eaten alone or with various toppings such as honey, powdered sugar, chili beans. I have often heard the latter referred to as an Indian taco. The way it is served will vary from region to region and different tribes will have different recipes.

Non-natives know fry bread from association with Native Americans. It is a simple complement to meals. It can be found in its many variations at state fairs and pow wows, but what is served to the paying public may be different than what is served in private homes and in the context of tribal family tradition.

Fry bread has a significant role in Native American cultures. It is often served both at home and at gatherings a "Spirit Food".

Fry bread was named the official "state bread" of South Dakota in 2005.(1)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture reports that a plate of fried bread consists of 700 calories and 27 grams of fat.

In an article in the Tacoma News Tribune, Bart Ripp has stated:

"Fry bread is terrible for you. Fry bread tastes wonderful.

Fry bread causes diabetes. Fry bread is an American Indian legacy.

Fry bread is the breakfast of champions.

You can make a mountain of excuses for fry bread and its nutritional value and culinary merit." (See link to full article below) (2)

So let's get on with it.


2 cups self rising flour plus 1 to 2 cups for kneading
2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin(or mashed sweet potatoes) You may substitute one 16 ounce tin of pureed pumpkin
1 tablespoon warm milk
3/4 cup brown sugar
Oil or shortening for frying
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon butter melted into the additional milk
an additional 2 teaspoons of milk


In a large bowl, mix the flour and the brown sugar. Stir the spices and butter into the milk and add to the flour/sugar mixture. Add the pumpkin or mashed sweet potatoes to the flour spice mixture. Mix until you have a sturdy dough.

Turn out onto a flour dusted surface. Knead adding flour as required. Place back into the bowl, cover with a cloth and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes.

Heat the oil in a skillet. Pull off egg sized pieces of dough and flatten them
in your hands. About 1/2 inch thick and 4 inches in diameter. Fry one at a time in the skillet turning once until golden. Drain on paper towels.

Serve plain or with whipped marshmallow.




Note: This conversion table might be helpful if you live in a country which
uses other different measures.




http://www.netstate.com/states/tables/state_food.htm (1)
http://www.hgtv.com/holidays-entertaining/food-for-the-spirit/index.html (2)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frybread