,--.____                                     ____.--.     
/  .'.'"``--...----------.___.----------...--''"`.`.  \    
| .'.'         .                       .         `.`. |    
`. .'|     . ' - . _    `-----'    _ . - ' .     |`. .'    
 `.' `|   .'   _     "-._     _.-"     _   `.   |' `.'     
      |  |        " -.           .- "        |  |          
       \|        ;;..  "|i. .i|"  ..;;        |/           
       `|      ,---.``.   ' '   .'',---.      |'           
        |    <'(__.'>.'---` '---`.<`.__)`>    |            
        |   `. `~  .'  ,-------.  `.  ~'.'    |            
        |  |=_"`=.'  . `-.___.-' .  `.='"_=|  |            
        |  |  ==/  : ` :   i   : ' :  \==  |  |            
        |  | ==/      /\___|___/\      \== |  |            
         `.| =Y      .' """_""" `.      Y= |.'             
           L ||      ;  .=="==.  ;      || J               
            \ ;     .' '       ` `.     ; /                
             `.     ;             ;     .'                 
              ;    ;'\           /`;    ;                  
              `;  .'.'/.       ,\`.`.  ;'                  
               `-=;_-'  `-----'  `-_;=-'            
                                                           
                      


  • History and Breeding - Originally bred as bullfighters. The jutting jaw used as a vice, the folds on the face channel blood away from the eyes. But due to breeding within the last century, their size has diminished, but physically they are the same.

  • General Care of Babies - Remember to keep a healthy, steady diet. Give them PLENTY of water. Bulldog's of all types have serious health problems concerning overheating and dehydration. At about 1 year old the diet can be reduced to 2 feedings a day. An overweight bulldog is a serious health risk. Make sure the diet matches their nutritional needs.

    Heat is a serious health risk. When temperatures and humidity are up, it's suggested you keep your bulldog from any exertion or playing outside of an air-conditioned area. When bulldogs pant, they need to calm down and get some water. "If panting is allowed to continue unchecked phlegm builds up... causes swelling... asphyxiation."(A New Owner's Guide to Bulldogs, 67)

    Bulldogs needs lots of exercise. The best times to do this is in the morning or evening. From personal experience bulldogs require a lot of attention. Be prepared to dedicate some time to these dogs, because they love to play. Remember to clean the folds of skin and wash your bulldog regularly. That means often. I suggest training them in simple tricks like stay, and sit, but they probably won't be willing to learn anything complicated. Use common sense. And remember a balanced diet is key to keeping them healthy. And avoid over-feeding like the plague.

    Be prepared to clean your things too. Bulldogs shed and smell, and love to chew on things. But they will also be completely loyal to you.

    One common misconception is that bulldogs make good guard dogs. This isn't true. They are scared of their own shadows, unless cruely raised. When disciplined any rebellious behavior melts away. They may make some noise when a burglar breaks in, but chances are they will probably just sit and watch happily as the burglar takes your DVD player.