The Saab 93 was first introduced in 1955, the car was developed amid speculation by the press of development of a three cylinder engine. This had been speculated since 1953 when DKW introduced their three cylinder engine in March '53.
The car was based off the Saab 92 with some modifications, the styling once again being done by Sixten Saxon. The car initially retained the divided windscreen of the 92 and it would be two years before this was removed.
The new engine was a 748cc two stroke unit producing 33hp despite having a smaller swept volume than the two cylinder version in the 92. Coil springs replaced the torsion bars and the electrical system was changed to 12V. The car had a new gearbox but still only had three gears. The car was offered with seatbelts from 1957 in Sweden, but it would be years before they were commonly fitted in cars. There was also the option of a Fitchel & Sachs clutch from 1957 which allowed clutchless changes between second and third gear, these were also fitted to DKW and Volkswagen cars but was never widely adopted.
The Saab 93B was shown to the public in September 1957. The car featured a one piece windscreen, as well as modern indicator lights and improved electrical system. The fuel tank was self mixing and the car was improved against theft with better door locks and an armoured starter cable.
The designation of 93F was introduced in 1960, the F referring to the front hinged doors on the car which were also fitted to the later Saab 95. The 93F was made to use old components to allow the way for the unnamed Saab 96 /95. There was a sport version named the GT750 which had twin carburettors and produced 55 hp - these are now very rare in original form. Only 600 (approx) 93F's were built over 1960 and the car was discontinued by the start of 1961.