Ooooh, wild.

Zenith, (a comic strip, in 2000AD), is a pop star in the 80s. He's the son of a superhero: during World War II, a race of supermen were created, both by the Allies and the Nazis, and it was these supermen who decided the victor of the war. Their children dropped out in the 60s and became sort of hippie-supermen.

Erm, and now Zenith mixes being a pop star with saving the universe from Nazi Lovecraftian evil, or something.

And then it starts getting weird.

The Afternoon's Zenith

Invitation to roguish bohemia
the feast of carnal concupicence
kaleidoscopic barmitzvahs
lounges with zodiac monsters,
fire-brands, dragons
and caricatures of the forbidden mischief
scorching annelids of sundown
secularism reserved for the Stentorians,
Stellars and party animals of sophistry
intertwining the execrable stench
of a barbeque stricken breeze
one million skeleton keys
all jingling at the orifice
to the advance of the volcano world
dungeons of red commerce
summoning great enfilades
to the stamping ground of revelry
Preferment! Preferment! Preferment!
for the ethos of ancient Greece!
good timers and keepers of the Enthusiastic
their veins like tunnels of exstacy
for the sports cars driven within...

Ze"nith [OE. senyth, OF. cenith, F. z'enith, Sp. zenit, cenit, abbrev. fr. Ar. samt-urras way of the head, vertical place; samt way, path + al the + ras head. Cf. Azimuth.]

1.

That point in the visible celestial hemisphere which is vertical to the spectator; the point of the heavens directly overhead; -- opposed to nadir.

From morn To noon he fell, from noon to dewy eve, A summer's day; and with the setting sun Dropped from the zenith, like a falling star. Milton.

2.

hence, figuratively, the point of culmination; the greatest height; the height of success or prosperity.

I find my zenith doth depend upon A most auspicious star. Shak.

This dead of midnight is the noon of thought, And wisdom mounts her zenith with the stars. Mrs. Barbauld.

It was during those civil troubles . . . this aspiring family reached the zenith. Macaulay.

Zenith distance. Astron. See under Distance. -- Zenith sector. Astron. See Sector, 3. -- Zenith telescope Geodesy, a telescope specially designed for determining the latitude by means of any two stars which pass the meridian about the same time, and at nearly equal distances from the zenith, but on opposite sides of it. It turns both on a vertical and a horizontal axis, is provided with a graduated vertical semicircle, and a level for setting it to a given zenith distance, and with a micrometer for measuring the difference of the zenith distances of the two stars.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.