One of the original 1982 set of G.I. Joe 3 3/4" action figures. He came with a bazooka which had the unfortunate tendency to break the thumbs off of action figures, so it was quickly replaced with a more compatible weapon. A 1991 Zap was released as part of the "Super Sonic Fighters" series. The green uniform was replaced with silver and black armor, and the bazooka was replaced with a pair of ridiculously oversized weapons and a battery powered "sonic backpack" which played sounds when buttons were pressed. The original Zap design reappeared for the figure in the 1997 Stars and Stripes Forever boxed set. Zap was given a promotion to E7 and a new codename – "Sgt. Zap".

1982 filecard:

BAZOOKA SOLDIER

Code Name: ZAP

File Name: Melendez, Rafael J. SN: RA633980744
Primary Military Specialty: Engineer
Secondary Military Specialty: Infantry Artillery Birthplace: New York City Grade: E-4
Zap is the team specialist in armor-piercing and anti-tank weapons but also functions as demolitions man. Specialized Education: Engineer School; Ordinance School; Advanced Infantry Training. Qualified Expert: M-14;M-16;M-1911A1;M-79 (Grenade Launcher);M-72 (LAW Rocket); XM-71A (TOW Missile); XM-47 (Dragon Missile).
"Zap is the fun loving type…he’s cool under fire. The stuff he works on could blow up at anytime."

Comic book appearances:
* G.I. JOE: #1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 11, 14, 15, 16, 22, 25, 33, 49, 50, 64, 82
* G.I. JOE: Special Missions: #24
* G.I. JOE Yearbook: #2
* G.I. JOE: Order of Battle: #2

Filecards and information from http://www.yojoe.com
Yu-Shiang Whole Fish = Z = zapped

zap

1. n. Spiciness. 2. vt. To make food spicy. 3. vt. To make someone `suffer' by making his food spicy. (Most hackers love spicy food. Hot-and-sour soup is considered wimpy unless it makes you wipe your nose for the rest of the meal.) See zapped. 4. vt. To modify, usually to correct; esp. used when the action is performed with a debugger or binary patching tool. Also implies surgical precision. "Zap the debug level to 6 and run it again." In the IBM mainframe world, binary patches are applied to programs or to the OS with a program called `superzap', whose file name is `IMASPZAP' (possibly contrived from I M A SuPerZAP). 5. vt. To erase or reset. 6. To fry a chip with static electricity. "Uh oh -- I think that lightning strike may have zapped the disk controller."

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.