a "nutritional supplement" apparently used by the majority of individuals working overnight shifts in the Seattle area to stay awake. Contains a bunch of Ma Huang(ephedrine) and guarana(caffeine). slammed home with a mountain dew or three, proves to be quite the stay-awake. only downside is going home after work and not being able to sleep...

Also a weight loss drug marketed by Cytodyne Technologies. Xenadrine RFA-1 is sold around the country in nutrition stores such as GNC in bottles of 120 capsules, at $40 per bottle. It has quickly become one of the country's best selling weight loss supplements due to the fact that it seems to reduce fat while leaving muscle mass alone. Cytodyne's website (www.cytodyne.com) has this to say:

"In the most recent double blind, product-specific clinical study, conducted at Eastern Michigan University, the Xenadrine group lost 524% more total fat and 759% more weight than the placebo group. At the same time, the Xenadrine group also showed gains in lean body mass. In addition, these impressive results were obtained from Xenadrine without reducing food intake."

Though the technical data section of the website is still under construction, the company cites clinical studies published in the Journal of Exercise Physiology (May 2001) and Current Therapeutic Research (April 2000), using words like "landmark" and "revolutionary" without citing any actual text from either study.

Anyhoo, here's the poop on what's in the stuff.
Pantothenic Acid.......................................40mg
Bitter Orange.............................................85mg
Ma Huang(ephedrine)...........................335mg
Guarana Extract......................................910mg
Proprietary ThermoSynergist Blend...380mg
....being....White Willow Bark Extract, Ginger Root, L-Tyrosine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, 3,3’,4’,7-Tetra-hydroxy-flavone, magnesium phosphate, DMAE(2-di-methyl-amino-ethanol)

In high doses, this stuff can harm you. Ephedrine, lovely stimulant and coding buddy that it is, is also a central ingredient to crystal meth. For those with heart troubles, getting your heart pounding with this sort of stimulant could be deadly. Diet drugs can cause dangerous yo-yo effects on weight, not to mention your self-esteem. As with any weight loss drug, its long term effectiveness is going to be directly proportional to life style change, like diet and exercise.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.