Not that I'm one of those people who flaunt their sexuality, but I really hate having to define my sexuality. I hate having to say "I'm gay," "I'm straight," "I'm transgendered," "I'm bisexual" ... whatever. I hate having to limit myself in any one or another pigeonhole, having to say that I am one way, another, or another.

I hate having to try to explain to people that my sexuality is far more complicated than a single word or idea ... and that I think that everyone's sexuality is ... it's just scary to admit it.

If you distil it down to its component parts, sexuality is just an arbitrary grouping imposed by tradition.

We look upon Slavery with disbelief. In two centuries time, our descendants will look upon Sexuality the same way.

Yes, this is naive and overly optimistic. People who tried to get Slavery abolished were treated the same - "Well it's a noble goal, but who could change the attitude of that many people?"

As it has been said so well - sexuality is fluid

I also dislike defining myself with one or two words, and as defense I usually bring up a quote I read once upon a time:

"I've always felt that sexuality is a really slippery thing. In this day and age, it tends to get categorized and labeled, and I think labels are for food. Canned food."
-Michael Stipe.

I dislike defining my sexuality for a totally different reason:

It's none of your fucking business what my sexuality is.

I stick with this through thick and thin. My mother by now, I believe, thinks that I am a heterosexual. But this is only because I've had two 2-year long relationships in the past 4.5 years (this one still going on). Before that, though, I never had a girlfriend for more than a few months, so my mother knew I was at least partly straight. But my best friend in the States is gay, and a really good friend of mine in Israel was gay (I don't know if was is a good term, I mean he was 'married' to a guy for 2 years. (Of course, not officially. But it was a lovely ceremony.) And then he got married and now he is expecting a kid, so I guess you could call him bisexual now. Hey, I said I dislike defining my sexuality, not other peoples'!

Where was I? Oh yes, anyway, my mother was uncertain for a long time about my sexuality, I could tell by her "innocent" questions. And then one day, after my then-gay friend slept over, she asked me straight out (no pun intended) if I was gay. I told her it was none of her business.

When I was in the army (obligatory service), I was in a room of quite disturbed people. I read in a newspaper about the male g-spot, and it became quite a topic of conversation. And it promoted a seriously gay atmosphere in the barracks. One day when we were training, my superior NCO and I came back from the field for supplies. Naturally, after three days in the field, we jumped at the chance for a shower. When we got out and got dressed, he called me and said, "Can I ask you a personal question?"
"Sure," I said.
"Seriously, just between you and me, are you gay?"
"It's none of your business."
"Come on, just tell me. I won't tell anyone else."
"It's none of your business."

Of course many people thought I was gay. I think my platoon commander might have seriously hated me for it. Fuck him. I'm not gay. But if I was, I'd be proud. And it's none of his fucking business.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.