A mathematical function of natural numbers which sums all the prime factors of the argument to yield another natural number. For example:


W(42) = 2 + 3 + 7 = 13
W(123) = 3 + 41 = 44
W(500) = 2 +2 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 19

I've searched around and have found no reference to anything else similar to this, so I figured I'd name it after myself. A fun game I play on the half-hour bus rides to and from work is uberwelching numbers on building addresses and license plates.

Colloquial verb used (at least in the U.S.) to refer to the act of failing to pay one's half of a bargan. Most often used when referring to a bet or a deal with money involved.

I was looking forward to selling my Everquest character to this guy on eBay, but the bastard welched on the deal.

From what I have seen, "welch" is most frequently used as an intransitive verb, with the connector "on the" used with the object. The subject of the clause is always the one failing to pay, such as "the bastard" in the above sentence.

The OED defines this term (under welsh) as a transitive verb as well, going all the way back to 1857. It is "of obscure origin," presumably unrelated to the nationality of Wales. (Contrast with "to Jew down" for "negotiate," which surprised me a bit when I first heard it.)

Welch (?), a.

See Welsh.

[R.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.