War"rant*y (?), n.; pl. Warranties (#). [OF. warantie, F. garantie. See Warrant, n., and cf. Guaranty.]

1. Anc.Law

A covenant real, whereby the grantor of an estate of freehold and his heirs were bound to warrant and defend the title, and, in case of eviction by title paramount, to yield other lands of equal value in recompense. This warranty has long singe become obsolete, and its place supplied by personal covenants for title. Among these is the covenant of warranty, which runs with the land, and is in the nature of a real covenant.

Kent.

2. ModernLaw

An engagement or undertaking, express or implied, that a certain fact regarding the subject of a contract is, or shall be, as it is expressly or impliedly declared or promised to be. In sales of goods by persons in possession, there is an implied warranty of title, but, as to the quality of goods, the rule of every sale is, Caveat emptor.

Chitty. Bouvier.

3. InsuranceLaw

A stipulation or engagement by a party insured, that certain things, relating to the subject of insurance, or affecting the risk, exist, or shall exist, or have been done, or shall be done. These warranties, when express, should appear in the policy; but there are certain implied warranties.

Bouvier.

4.

Justificatory mandate or precept; authority; warrant.

[R.]

Shak.

If they disobey precept, that is no excuse to us, nor gives us any warranty . . . to disobey likewise. Kettlewe.

5.

Security; warrant; guaranty.

The stamp was a warranty of the public. Locke.

Syn. -- See Guarantee.

 

© Webster 1913.


War"rant*y, v. t.

To warrant; to guarantee.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.