In the Hebrew Bible, this expression is used to describe anyone outside of the nation of Israel, and relates as much to their moral and religious uncleanness as to the 'natural' state of their penises. In fact, it is used even of the Jewish people, for example, Deuteronomy 10:16 says "Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your heart, and be no more stiffnecked", in reference to obedience to God.

In the Christian Bible, too, references are made to the uncircumcised state. In Galatians 5:3-6, the apostle Paul states:

  1. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
  2. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
  3. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.
  4. For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

Christians were not ordered to be circumcised, as the Mosaic Law was deemed to be fulfilled by the death of Jesus, and purity, both religious and spiritual, needed to be demonstrated through faith and works, rather than by an outward sign.

I shall be pleased if any would expand on the Hebrew and Greek words used...

Un*cir"cum*cised (?), n.

Not circumcised; hence, not of the Israelites.

"This uncircumcised Philistine."

1 Sam. xvii. 26.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.