The best place to go to get really good hot dogs, cigarettes (so I've been told) and anarchist propaganda. It's open latest of all the southside Berkeley restaurants, so if you're hungry between midnight and 2 and don't have a car, it's pretty much your only hope.

They make a good hot dog, but still, it's a $3 hot dog. Kinda like a $5 shake.

Prison slang for the toughest of the prisoners, the one who rules the roost. Also known as the daddy.

Top Dog sells the best hotdogs in the Known Universe. They have several locations: three in Berkeley (on Durant and Telegraph, on Center and Shattuck, and on Hearst and Euclid), one in San Jose (284B South 11th Ave) and two in Oakland (on 14th and City Center, and on 52cd and Broadway).

They sell many kinds of dogs:

  • Top Dog frankfurter - All beef
  • German frankfurter - 3/4 beef, 1/4 pork, garlic (a la Knackwurst)
  • Bockwurst - 1/2 pork, 1/2 veal, milk, eggs (no preservatives)
  • Kielbasa - 2/3 pork, 1/3 beef
  • Cooked Bratwurst - All pork, marjoram
  • LinguiƧa - All pork, wine vinegar cured (oak smoked)
  • Calabrese - All pork, paprika, chili, fennel (semi hot)
  • Hot Link - Pork and beef, four kinds of pepper (HOT)
  • Bird Dog - Turkey, red and green peppers, cilantro (a slight bite)
  • Lemon Chicken - Chicken, fresh lemon and garlic (low salt, low fat, no preservatives)
  • Smoked Chicken Apple - Chicken, juicy bits of apple (low salt)
  • The Wienie - Wheat gluten, soy protein, tofu (no fat, no preservatives)

Dogs are $2.75 and drinks start at $0.75

The Durant Top Dog has been around since 1966, selling dogs to Berkeley inhabitants from 10 AM to 2 AM (3 AM on Fridays and Saturdays). They also sell a variety of 'weeds' and matches ($.05 for two). The other Top Dog locations operate more normal hours, but their dogs are just as good.

In addition to standard sodas, the Top Dogs sell Railroad Rootbeer and Royal Crown (RC) Cola on tap. Both are superior examples of their respective sodas.

All Top Dog locations have sauerkraut, relish, chopped onions and three kinds of mustard (including the horseradish-based hot, Russian mustard, which is awesome on almost everything and is necesarry for the proper enjoyment of a chicken apple dog). Some of the Top Dogs have a few other condiments as well as these.

"Believe what your told. There'd be chaos if everyone thought for themselves."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.