In NetHack, a tin contains something edible, usually meat but occasionally spinach. They can be found lying around the Dungeons of Doom, or you can create them yourself with a tinning kit. A tin will take several turns to open, so if you are starving to death in the middle of a melee (and it happens much more often than you think, non-Hackers), a tin is probably not the best choice of comestible. If you wield the otherwise-useless item called a tin opener, you can open the tin in a single turn. And if the tin opener was cursed, you're in for big problems.

Tins can contain rotten meat, but this is not the same as tainted meat -- meat eaten from a tin will not make you sick (although I once modified NetHack to make my ascension-obsessed roommate's characters start off with tins of tainted Wizard of Yendor meat. It was pretty kludgy but I got him good the first time).

A tin of spinach will increase your strength, naturally. Remember, the DevTeam thinks of everything.

Tin
Symbol: Sn
Atomic Number: 50
Atomic Weight: 118.710
Boiling Point: 2876 K
Melting Point: 505.12 K
Density at 300K: 7.31 g/cm3
Covalent radius: 1.41
Atomic radius: 1.72
Atomic volume: 16.30 cm3/mol
First ionization potental: 7.344 V
Specific heat capacity: 0.228 Jg-1K-1
Thermal conductivity: 66.6 Wm-1K-1
Electrical conductivity: 8.7 106Ω-1m-1
Heat of fusion: 7.2 kJ/mol
Heat of vaporization: 290.37 kJ/mol
Electronegativity: 1.96 (Pauling's)

Previous Indium---Antimony Next
To the Periodic Table

Tin (?), n. [As. tin; akin to D. tin, G. zinn, OHG. zin, Icel. & Dan. tin, Sw. tenn; of unknown origin.]

1. Chem.

An elementary substance found as an oxide in the mineral cassiterite, and reduced as a soft white crystalline metal, malleable at ordinary temperatures, but brittle when heated. It is not easily oxidized in the air, and is used chiefly to coat iron to protect it from rusting, in the form of tin foil with mercury to form the reflective surface of mirrors, and in solder, bronze, speculum metal, and other alloys. Its compounds are designated as stannous, or stannic. Symbol Sn (Stannum). Atomic weight 117.4.

2.

Thin plates of iron covered with tin; tin plate.

3.

Money.

[Cant]

Beaconsfield.

Block tin Metal., commercial tin, cast into blocks, and partially refined, but containing small quantities of various impurities, as copper, lead, iron, arsenic, etc.; solid tin as distinguished from tin plate; -- called also bar tin. -- Butter of tin. Old Chem. See Fuming liquor of Libavius, under Fuming. -- Grain tin. Metal. See under Grain. -- Salt of tin Dyeing, stannous chloride, especially so called when used as a mordant. -- Stream tin. See under Stream. -- Tin cry Chem., the peculiar creaking noise made when a bar of tin is bent. It is produced by the grating of the crystal granules on each other. -- Tin foil, tin reduced to a thin leaf. -- Tin frame Mining, a kind of buddle used in washing tin ore. -- Tin liquor, Tin mordant Dyeing, stannous chloride, used as a mordant in dyeing and calico printing. -- Tin penny, a customary duty in England, formerly paid to tithingmen for liberty to dig in tin mines. [Obs.] Bailey. -- Tin plate, thin sheet iron coated with tin. -- Tin pyrites. See Stannite.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tin (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tinned (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Tinning.]

To cover with tin or tinned iron, or to overlay with tin foil.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.