Women can be hardcore? Fuck ya they can. Pick up a copy of one of Tilt's albums and listen to Cinder Block rock harder than most guys. Cinder had been involved with bands for most of her life and then in 1992 formed Tilt with Jeffery Bischoff on guitar, Pete Rypins on bass, and J. Vincent Camacho on drums.

In 1993 the band released their first album Play Cell on Lookout! Records. In 1995 the band changed labels to Fat Wreck Chords and released 'Til It Kills. In 1996 the band broke up, but this didn't last long and the band got back together with a new bassist, Jimi Cheetah from Screw32. In 1998 they released Collect 'Em All which is a reference to Cinder and Jeffrey's extensive toy collection.

In 1999 Tilt released Viewers Like You. A fantastic punk album. Actually this is the only album of theirs that I have but I really love it. I was amazed by the songs. It is great to hear some songs about women from a women's point of view like Annie Segall and Die of Shame. Yet my favorite songs are the ones that tackle atypical topics for women like Animated Corpse or War Room. The whole album is great and it flows really well.

I have not heard of the band doing much since the last album. That is probably because Cinder has a budding merchandise business that provides web stores and merch for a lot of bands including Weezer, Less Than Jake, AFI, Green Day, and many more. They are also doing the merch for Warped Tour.

albums:
Play Cell -- Lookout! Records (1993)
'Til It Kills -- Fat Wreck Chords (1995)
Collect 'Em All -- Fat Wreck Chords (1998)
Viewers Like You -- Fat Wreck Chords (1999)
Cinder Block is one sexy bitch.
-- impishlaugh

This is a term used often in a poker room to describe a player that is playing loose and aggressive. Having a player on tilt in a poker game can cause severe fluctuation in one's bankroll and variance in one's expected win rate.

An example of usage that I recently overheard in the Ameristar Casino's poker room, in Kansas City: "Ever since Eugene lost with his pocket rockets he has been on tilt. He is crazy. I just saw him play 3-9 offsuit"

Right from the very beginnings of pinball, players realized that since the game used gravity to direct the ball, that it could be physically affected by shaking and tilting the machine. Because this disrupted the game, and made them vunerable to damage, the tilt mechanism was quickly added - within merely a few years of pinball's introduction.

The standard tilt mechanism in a pinball machine is rather simple. A cone-shaped weight, or pendulum, hanging on the inside of the machine. It hangs through the center of a ring, and the whole thing is set up so that the machine can detect when the pendulum comes in contact with the ring. When that occurs, the machine usually registers it as a "tilt", then immediately ceases play of the current ball. This is to penalize the player for shaking the machine too much.

The pendulum is carefully weighted so that some shaking of the machine can be done safely. After all, a player who puts some force into pressing the flipper buttons can shake the machine, and if that registered as a tilt, it would drive customers away. This also allows players to intentionally do a little shaking to direct the ball, though they must be careful doing it.

Because of the inertia in the pendulum, very sharp and quick pushes and hits on the machine can often go undetected - this is the basis behind the bangback. To prevent such actions from being too violent, machines also have sensors to detect a slam tilt.

There are a few other miscellaneous mechanisms that have been used to detect a tilt - I believe at least one machine has a pinball sitting in a special spot inside, and if it rolls too far in one direction, it counts as a tilt.

There are usually two ways for a tilt mechanism to break. The first involves either there being no current to the mechanism or the pendulum completely breaking. This prevents the machine from detecting a tilt at all, and players can abuse the machine to their heart's desire. I saw this happen to a Rollergames machine in my dorm freshman year - people could lift up the machine to send the ball back into play after it went through an outlane.

The other way is for the ring to be off, or the weight to have broken off, but the metal rod it's hanging from is still connected. This makes it very, very easy to tilt the game, and is sometimes unplayable because the impact from pressing on a flipper button can set it off.

Return to The Pinball Dictionary

The Tilt mechanism was invented by Harry Williams, founder of the Williams game company. The use of "body english" when playing early pinball games was getting out of control. Williams witnessed one player bashing the bottom of one of his machines to make the pinball pop out of lower scoring holes. His first solution was to place sharp nails under the machine to, err, discourage this sort of bashing. He quickly realized this wasn't the best solution. He developed a mechanism called the "stool pigeon". The idea was a metal ball sat on a golf tee and excessive machine shaking would knock the ball off the tee and that would cause the game to reset.

The first pinball machine he installed the "stool pigeon" device on was called Advance. He watched how people dealt with this new mechanism. One player giving the machine excessive nudging activated the stool pigeon device and exclaimed "I hit it and it tilted!".

In a flash of insight, Williams realized "tilt" was a much better name than "stool pigeon". Eventually Williams replaced the metal ball mechanism with a pendulum device that became standard on all pinball games.

Return to The Pinball Dictionary

How to avoid tilting a pinball machine

The first step towards becoming a pinball wizard is learning to physically manipulate the machine. Pinball is chaotic enough that no amount of skill will prevent the ball from heading towards the drain sooner or later. Even if you play a perfect game, eventually the ball will get stuck somewhere and you'll need to know how to get it out without tilting. The bumping, nudging and sliding techniques of pinball are numerous, but they all hinge on the ability to perform them without angering that delicate guardian of virtue known as the tilt sensor.

The tilt sensor in most pinball machines is simply a pendulum hanging in the center of a metal ring. When the pendulum hits the ring the tilt is triggered. All modern pinball machines will give you a couple warnings to burn before the tragic event comes to pass, so you can get a good feel for what kind hits it will take. A lot of factors can affect the sensitivity, not the least of which is the actual tilt setting as adjusted by the maintenance guy. That leads us to our first and most comprehensive technique:

Tell the maintenance guy the machine tilts too easy.

Half the time he'll be so amazed that someone actually still cares about pinball that he'll do it without even bothering to test first. The other half of the time he'll adjust it because he just doesn't care. Either way you can't lose... at least not if you know how to take advantage of the machine's newfound easy virtue.

Okay, so now that you have an unfair advantage, you must refine your bumping technique to the point of zen mastery. You may have noticed that there is usually some delay after the initial bump before a machine goes belly up. The reason for this is the same that a milk carton shoved violently onto the refrigerator shelf will slide to a halt momentarily before jolting forward again. When you initially bump the machine the inertia of the pendulum causes it to swing backwards, then just as its falling forward the rebound of the machine causes it to swing relatively higher in the other direction hitting the metal ring. The mechanism works so well because gravity affects both the machine and the pendulum equally (who said Newtonian physics was proven worthless by Einstein?). That leads us to our second and most impressive technique:

Do not let the machine rebound from a bump naturally.

This can be achieved in many ways, the easiest being to bump and hold for a second before releasing, giving the pendulum time to swing back all the way such that the rebound won't synchronize with the backstroke. You can also pull the machine back into place quickly before the pendulum gains momentum. In general, you tend to need to bump the machine a certain way to perform a save, with practice you can learn to perform an accompanying rebound action to prevent a tilt. If you are quite skilled, have good upper-body strength and pinball clairvoyance, there is a more subtle technique:

Muscle the machine slowly over to where you want it and then slowly let it back.

This works because often times the machine does not so much need a bump, but simply for the ball to not be heading straight down the drain. Because you're dealing with a round object, no matter how slowly you move the machine it will still move independently of the ball. A violent bump can only move the machine so far before the pendulum gains too much momentum. A slow move, however, can go much farther. A machine with wobbly legs is especially susceptible to this technique, and with a slight modification you can take it to infinite proportions. Behold, our final and most nefarious technique:

Attach casters to the front legs of the machine

I've never actually managed to do this, partially because I don't own any machines and partially because it would make pinball far too easy and hence boring. However, if you absolutely needed a high score on a difficult machine this would be one way to go. If you had a couple exceedingly thin casters you could probably stick them on a machine quite easily eithout disturbing the balance of the game too much. Any normal caster would require jacking up the back of the machine to level the play field. If you do sink to this level, please /msg me as I'd love to hear about it.

I had cashed out of all my usual haunts the month before to take care of an unexpected car repair. This month, I was back and on a run to end all runs. I'd finished my bonus whoring and turned an initial $200 into just shy of $600. Normally I would have hit up a few more before settling down to the tables, but I was feeling a bit antsy.

This was about a week ago. This morning, I was sitting on about $1150 after a fantastic week multi-tabling the $1/$2 and, here and there, the $1/$2 NLHE. So yeah, I'm on fire.

Now, I'm a few dollars shy of sitting comfortably at the $2/$4. But what is the hurry? They are running a guaranteed prize pool promotion and the $100+9 is looking huge. Drop $109 for a shot at several grand? Why not? My tournament record is solid enough, I'm up.

I buy in, get seated with my 1000 chips and notice two monsters at the table. Now this may be rarified strata for me, but everyone knows the monsters. I'm not overly worried however, as long as I steer clear of them our table is likely to be broken close to the first hour mark. Sure enough, shortly after the first hour I'm a little more than doubled up and our table is broken.

First hand at the new table I get pocket Qs and end up doubling up, second hand I get 10s and end up picking up another 2300 in chips. I'm in the top ten in chip standings now and feeling really good. By the end of the second hour I'm in 8th chip position with 58 players remaining. The tournament pays out to 30th place.

Half way through the third hour it starts.

Our table is broke, I'm moved right in front of the blinds, monster on my left, monster on my right... Okay, I'm sitting strong at about 12k in chips. There is only one guy bigger than me here, two within 4k, everyone else is clawing at the bubble. Big blind comes and "Yeehaw!" I get a pair of Ks!

I'm looking at a king of spades and a king of clubs, my first hand at a new table, I've got 200 chips in the pot for my big blind. There are a few folds, a guy in middle position makes it 600 to go and the rest fold around to me. I don't want to scare him off but neither will I give him a cheap look at the flop. With my 200 already in there, a pot bet would be 1100. I want him in, but I can't make too easy. I make it 1400 to go, and "Yeehaw!" again, he calls. The flop is rags, all low cards, but I note two diamonds. Hmm. There is 2900 in the pot, he's got 5450 left, I set him all in... he calls.

Our cards are flipped up and sure enough, I have an overpair, he has a flush draw, and not even to the ace high. He called me all in with a flush draw, nearly five to one on turn, 35% total - a bad draw in his position. I'm shocked, but optimistic, the odds are on my side two to one with weird runner-runner included. Turn comes a blank, river makes his flush. I feel like I've been sucker punched.

It isn't the end of the world. I'm no longer happy, but I'm not out of it yet. I'm tilted, but alive, with 5630 in chips.

I tighten up, even more so than normal. I let a few small pairs go by when there are significant raises in front of me. I even folded a suited AJ under the gun. We are down to 41 players when the other shoe finally drops.

I am on the button with bullets, pocket rockets, the best possible starting hand.

Deep breath, don't mess this up, there is so much more to think about than than the average duffer might guess. On the one hand, I've been sucked out on once already (stupid #&$@ flush draw)... On the other, I have Phil Hellmuth's admonition rolling around in the back of my brain, "You aren't here to just make the money, you are here to win." Well, let us see what happens in front of me first, they might make my play obvious.

The blinds are 150-300, there are five callers in front of me. There is 2k+ in the pot now, with the addition of the antes, and I've got just less than 5k. Turns out I really have no choice, I go all in. Who calls? My flush loving buddy from before. What's he got this time? A suited A8, clubs. Friggin moron, he has a 12% chance of winning this. I am both loving and hating life right at this moment. I don't know if this happens in any other sport, but it is a common enough occurrence in poker. I am so far ahead I should be elated, I've seen nastier suck outs before, I am pissed he would even call.

Flop comes Q clubs, 4 hearts and 9 diamonds. His odds are now 6%, to win this hand. He needs runner-runner clubs or runner-runner 8s.

Turn comes an 8. He has a 4.5% chance of winning.

River comes an 8.

I'm out.

I'm out. I just spent $109 and four hours to lose to runner-runner 8s. I just missed, potentially, several thousand dollars. At the very least, I missed getting my money back and then some... to a guy who couldn't figure odds with Super/System a calculator and an hour to work it out...

This is tilt.

I spent the next twenty minutes, fully aware of the nature of the chemicals coursing through my brain, ruining the evenings of the kids at the $.25/$.50 Omaha table. I played every pocket, I went all in three or four out of every ten hands in an orbit. I re-bought three times. Win or lose, I was going nuts until I felt better.

I was in no hurry at all.






As it turned out, I finished up $6.50... including my tournament buy in.


I used the odds calculator at twodimes.net for quick odds reference. I refer to my own write ups where other's are not available. What can I say, not many of us are covering poker.

tilt

To tilt ; to fight with a sword.

To run full tilt against one ; allusion to the ancient tilling with the lance.

The 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue.

"It's okay to use people if you throw a little love in."
--Mickey

In between the notoriety of Pretty Baby (1976) and the commercial, if not critical, success of The Blue Lagoon (1980), Brooke Shields appeared in a handful of films that were panned, given limited release, forgotten, or all of the above. Tilt was the only one of them I've seen, and the only one I ever wanted to see. I was an adolescent in the era, and this movie concerns pinball.

Tilt rests in the Venn Diagram overlap of '70s grindhouse, After-School Special, and road movie. It features a wannabe country/rock star and con artist, Neil Gallagher (Ken Marshall). He gets run out of Corpus Christi after rigging a pinball table and trying to win against local bar-owner and silver ball wiz, "The Whale," played by veteran actor Charles Durning.

Despite his singing talent, ol' Neil encounters roadblocks in the City of Angels. He hopes to earn the money to record a demo by exploiting a fourteen-year-old runaway. Nicknamed "Tilt," she operates out of Mickey's bar, where she hustles pinball and shares the profits with the owner.

He convinces her to head cross-country with him. She'll win at pinball bets, he'll handle other matters, and they'll split the earnings. It's made clear that, despite sharing (two bed) motel rooms, their relationship is not sexual, so at least he's not that sort of predator. He does, however, take more than his share of the profits.

Tensions build as they make their way back to Corpus Christi.

The film has a few redeeming elements. Charles Durning, arguably the best thing in this movie, gives an entertaining performance as the Whale. Long-time character actor Geoffrey Lewis has an uncomfortably hilarious cameo as a trucker who gives "Tilt" a lift. He rants about the moral decline of America while trying (unsuccessfully) to score with the fourteen-year-old.

Tilt was filmed in 1978 and given limited release in 1979. Poor responses from audiences led to it being re-edited and then shelved. In the 1980s it received heavy rotation on television. And that's where it belonged, even if it arrived there too late to be timely. If I had paid good money to see this in its original run anywhere but at a drive-in, I'd have been disappointed. But on TV, in an era when The Love Boat drew top ratings and Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway passed as edgy social commentary? The film is entertaining enough for that place and time. It survives as a compendium of the attitudes, styles, landscape, look-- and pinball parlours-- of the late 70s.

Director: Rudy Durand
Writers: Donald Cammell and Rudy Durand

Brooke Shields as Brenda "Tilt" Davenport
Ken Marshall as Neil Gallagher
Charles Durning as Harold "The Whale" Remmens
John Crawford as Mickey
Rob Berger as "Replay"
Karen Lamm as "Hype"
Harvey Lewis as Henry Bertolino
Geoffrey Lewis as Truck Driver
Don Stark as Gary Laswitz
Lorenzo Lamas as Casey Silverwater
Gregory Walcott as Mr. Davenport
Helen Boll as Mrs. Davenport
Frank Pesce as "Carrots"
Kathryn Gresham-Lancaster as Loretta Davenport

Bonus Seventies Movie Check-list: Tilt


Tilt (?), n. [OE. telt (perhaps from the Danish), teld, AS. teld, geteld; akin to OD. telde, G. zelt, Icel. tjald, Sw. talt, tjall, Dan. telt, and ASThe beteldan to cover.]

1.

A covering overhead; especially, a tent.

Denham.

2.

The cloth covering of a cart or a wagon.

3. Naut.

A cloth cover of a boat; a small canopy or awning extended over the sternsheets of a boat.

Tilt boat Naut., a boat covered with canvas or other cloth. -- Tilt roof Arch., a round-headed roof, like the canopy of a wagon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tilt, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tilted; p. pr. & vb. n. Tilting.]

To cover with a tilt, or awning.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tilt, v. t. [OE. tilten, tulten, to totter, fall, AS. tealt unstable, precarious; akin to tealtrian to totter, to vacillate, D. tel amble, ambling pace, G. zelt, Icel. tolt an ambling pace, tolta to amble. Cf. Totter.]

1.

To incline; to tip; to raise one end of for discharging liquor; as, to tilt a barrel.

2.

To point or thrust, as a lance.

Sons against fathers tilt the fatal lance. J. Philips.

3.

To point or thrust a weapon at.

[Obs.]

Beau. & Fl.

4.

To hammer or forge with a tilt hammer; as, to tilt steel in order to render it more ductile.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tilt, v. i.

1.

To run or ride, and thrust with a lance; to practice the military game or exercise of thrusting with a lance, as a combatant on horseback; to joust; also, figuratively, to engage in any combat or movement resembling that of horsemen tilting with lances.

He tilts With piercing steel at bold Mercutio's breast. Shak.

Swords out, and tilting one at other's breast. Shak.

But in this tournament can no man tilt. Tennyson.

The fleet, swift tilting, o'er the urges flew. Pope.

2.

To lean; to fall partly over; to tip.

The trunk of the body is kept from tilting forward by the muscles of the back. Grew.

 

© Webster 1913.


Tilt (?), n.

1.

A thrust, as with a lance.

Addison.

2.

A military exercise on horseback, in which the combatants attacked each other with lances; a tournament.

3.

See Tilt hammer, in the Vocabulary.

4.

Inclination forward; as, the tilt of a cask.

Full tilt, with full force.

Dampier.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.