Unlike most people, I happen to be somewhat of a fan of commercials with targeted demographics. It is very rare a commercial will overtly mention just what the demographic is, so one must pay close attention to the subtle clues.

Match.com commercials always feature an upper-twenties to mid-thirties aged women. She is found doing something alone that is best done with someone else, such as playing marco polo. Then a female narrator comes in and encourages you to find someone on match.com. I have only seen the ads that target women. My conclusion: Match.com's sex ratio is very uneven, with too many men and too few women.

Fibromyalgia commercials are pretty uninteresting, unless maybe you have fibromyalgia. It's just a typical drug commercial with a voiceover describing symptoms of the disease and showing someone who has it. They always feature women. My conclusion: Fibromyalgia affects far more women than men.

Military commercials' target demographics change frequently, presumably based on the needs of the military. It's easy to tell who they want, all you need to do is look at the race/gender/economic status of the soldier/airmen/marines/sailors in the commercials. It's pretty straightforward, if they have a lot of women in the commercials, they need/want more women, the same goes for all other demographics.

McDonalds' has several different kinds of commercials tailor fit to each demographic. Hispanics have their commercials in spanish, ending in "me encanta!" (presumably i'm lovin' it in spanish). While I'm not sure what they say, the spanish ads actually seem more entertaining and creative than the other ones. Middle class white folks have the guy in the mini-van, sucking on a Mcafee as a guy on a chopper sarcastically insults his mini-van. Along with the little kid in the back, the whole commercial screams a stereotype of "whiteness". The black demographic simply has a black women drinking a Mcafee and having a reaction similar to orgasm. Conclusion: McDonalds treats racial groups like pokemon, "gotta catch 'em all!"

Shampoo commercials are quite strange, in that they aren't selling shampoo at all! They are clearly selling sex. Apparantly, shampooing one's hair is right up there as one of the best feelings in the world for women, much like an  orgasm (along with drinking McAfee). Conclusion: Washing one's hair is similar to orgasm.

Next time the commercials come on, pay attention!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.