On March 9, 1933 FDR declared a state of national emergency, effectively nullifying the Constitution. Says who? The U.S. Senate. In Report 92549, written in 1973. It states, bluntly, that since 1933 "the United States has been in a state of declared national emergency....A majority of people of the United States have lived all their lives under emergency rule...(we now live in) a permanent state of national emergency." As a result of all this, the president has the power to seize property, restrict travel, seize all forms of communication and institute martial law. In addition to FDR's declaration of a national emergency, there are still open declarations from Harry S Truman on December 16, 1950 and not one, but two courtesy of Nixon on March 23, 1970, and August 15, 1971.

After the events of September 11, 2001 we now have an open declaration from George W. Bush effective from the aforementioned date onward, though not signed until September 14, 2001... That brings us to five declarations currently open.

So what? Who cares? What does it matter that the Constitution has been suspended for decades? Does anyone care that the current US monetary system is, in fact, unconstitutional? I guess not.

Not addressed in this write-up is the fact that most people simply state that the US is under martial law. This term is not correct for the state we have been enjoying for that past 60+ years. It is used only to raise the dander of the populace. But who wants to rally around the cry the US is still under a presidential decree of national emergency?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.