Taper is a convenient data back up and archiving software application for Linux and other UNIX-like operating systems.

Written by Yusuf Nagree of Australia, the current version at the time of writing is 6.9b. Taper's main benefit is ease of use, followed by the storage of the catalogue file on the tape media itself, and of course it's free software. The application supports most SCSI & IDE tape drives, and most other forms of removable media such as Zip or Jaz. The app's front-end is graphical console, and while there is no mouse support, tabs and arrow keys allow really easy moving around the app.

If you're looking for something a bit more straightforward than dump or more modern than cpio and easier (and cheaper) than BRU or Arkeia, give taper a try.

A rod, usually about two to three inches in length, used in the body piercing industry to stretch a piercing to a larger gauge. This simple device increases in diameter along the length of the rod. The smaller end is placed inside the hollow of the piercing and pushed through with the assistance of plenty of lube. The taper is followed by a piece of suitable body jewelry the same size as the larger end of the taper.

see also: Spike, Claw

Ta"per (?), n. [AS. tapur, tapor, taper; cf. Ir. tapar, W. tampr.]

1.

A small wax candle; a small lighted wax candle; hence, a small light.

Get me a taper in my study, Lucius. Shak.

2.

A tapering form; gradual diminution of thickness in an elongated object; as, the taper of a spire.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ta"per (?), a. [Supposed to be from taper, n., in allusion to its form.]

Regularly narrowed toward the point; becoming small toward one end; conical; pyramidical; as, taper fingers.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ta"per, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Tapered (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Tapering.]

To become gradually smaller toward one end; as, a sugar loaf tapers toward one end.

 

© Webster 1913.


Ta"per, v. t.

To make or cause to taper.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.