When a professional wrestler finds himself caught in a submission hold, he can give up by slapping the mat with his hand three times in quick succession.

In the good old days (read: before the '90s) tapping out didn't exist.  If you wanted to submit, you had to say "I submit" or "I quit" or "I give up" or something to that effect.  But, as wrestling became increasingly television-centric, it was decided that a more visual way of submitting would be better.  It looks better in a highlight reel, as it's immediately apparent what the wrestler is doing.  Compare that to the old verbal acknowledgement, which could be the wrestler asking what time it is unless you see it in context.  Also, the live crowd does not have the benefit  of watching the match through television cameras five inches from the wrestlers' faces, and so it's easy for them to totally miss a wrestler saying "I submit."

Nowadays, wrestlers will rarely, if ever, submit the old-fashioned way.  Part of it is because of the reasons listed above, another big part is that the wrestlers feel they lose less face when they just tap out as opposed to verbally acknowledging their opponent's superiority.

Just about the only time a wrestler won't submit by tapping out nowadays is in an "I Quit" match, in which the only way to win is to make your opponent say the words "I quit."  The referee will usually carry around a microphone with him so that the entire arena can hear the dialogue when it occurs.

The practice of the tapping your opponent or mat to signal your submission to his or her technique is an old one in the martial arts. Judo has had this feature since at least the early 20th Century and the concept of tapping out was used long before judo's development by many jujitsu ryu's. After all, in learning the martial arts, there must be a way to signal tori nonverbally that his choke is indeed effective.

Although the standard tapout is three quick taps in succession, in my experiences participating in and observing judo, sambo, submission wrestling, and MMA contests such as the UFC or Pride is that any two or more quick taps to the mat or opponent will bring the match to a stop so long as the intention is clear to the referee. It is my observation that the two tap convention is the one most commonly used in martial arts learning environments. In competition, its best to keep tapping until the other guy lets go.

The body part tapping out is not necessarily the hand. It is permissible and not uncommon to see players in judo tap with their feet. Sometimes, it is physically impossible to tap out using your hands, for example, if you have been caught in the impractical, but still very cool, double armbar. In the course of grappling, it is not at all unusual to have both arms not joint locked but still immobilized.

An odd situation often arises in aikido and hapkido where a wrist lock places uke in such a position that he is unable to reach tori or the mat with his hands, nor able to make a loud enough noise with his feet. You will then often see uke tapping loudly on his own body to signal to tori that his technique is indeed effective and that he can let go now.

SharQ has encouraged me to add a section on verbal submission: The alternative to tapping out is to verbally submit. This is done in different a different manner depending on where and what activity you are participating in. In judo where kiais are not discouraged, it is customary to call out mattei in a clear voice. On the other end of the spectrum are sports such as sambo where any loud outcry while grappling may be taken as a sign of submission. In most martial arts classes, a loud "Stop!" in the customary language usually suffices. It is my observation that there is little standardization of the verbal submission as I have seen different branches of the same art verbally submit in different manners.

I believe the tapout's use in American prowrestling was the inevitable result of the crossing over of UFC athletes as well as Americans with experience in Japanese pro wrestling federations. Many, if not most, Japanese wrestlers have extensive martial arts backgrounds and the idea of tapping out has always had a place there, particulary in the shoot style leagues.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.