A term in basketball for a shot that goes in touching nothing but net. It is called this because of the sound of the friction between the ball and the net, which makes a "swish" sound.

SWiSH is a shareware program that generates textual animations and special effects for web. It runs in Microsoft Windows, and produces Macromedia Flash files. It's easy to create text effects with it - much easier than with Flash itself.

The users think it's really cool, but in my opinion, once you've seen one SWiSH animation (and dropped your jaw on the floor =) you've seen them all. It may even be that SWiSH encourages useless use of Flash...

swish is also an adjective meaning smart and fashionable. This is a connotation of the word that has been around since 1879. A good way to use this word in a sentence would be: That swish woman is indeed a wonderful sight to behold!

The definition comes from http://webster.com/cgi-bin/dictionary and then you type in swish and click on adj.

Swish (?), v. t. [From the sound. Cf. Swash.]

1.

To flourish, so as to make the sound swish.

Coleridge.

2.

To flog; to lash.

[Slang]

Thackeray.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swish, v. i.

To dash; to swash.

 

© Webster 1913.


Swish, n.

1.

A sound of quick movement, as of something whirled through the air.

[Colloq.]

2. Naut.

Light driven spray.

[Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.