Act 1

Ruth, a twenty-something mother of three, steps slowly into her kitchen. It is 1957. Her young age is masked by stress lines and worried eyes. She is short, and appears frail, but she has large bones that support her tiny figure. Her long, ginger hair partly covers her face as she looks across to the door, where he husband enters. He is Jacob. Jacob is nearly 30, hard working, and has thinning gold hair. His predicament seems hopeless; he has worked his whole life, and now finds that his company is bankrupt, throwing him out of the doors with no benefits. Now, without a job, he finds the lives of his three children in his hands. Must they suffer with him and Ruth, or is there hope in the monastery?

Jacob: Hello, darling. How is everything? The bread's in the oven, mm?

He sits.

Ruth: Yes. I'm making that special Japanese kind, with the seaweed salt. Have you any news from the company?

Jacob, looking down with a slumped voice: They're losing it, Ruth. It's all gone. They haven't a damn pension for any of us. Twelve years, and all's I get is a boot n' a goodbye!

Ruth, sighing, slightly pausing: Well… we mustn't worry about those business men. I'm so proud of you, Jake- you're such a strong person, and good father. But I fear (she pauses)… I fear about the kids. I just worry about them.

Jacob, shaking his head: I don't know, Ruth. I just don't know. The times are hard, and they look to be gettin' harder.

Ruth: I know. What about the kids? We can't expect anything from them.

Jacob, looking at Ruth with sadness: Did you ever consid (is interrupted)

Ruth, eyes widening: Oh, Jake! Don't say that, now. We can't just.. send them off, like a bunch of goddamn orphans! They have two loving parents; some kids (interrupted)

Jacob: Some kids have a father with a job.

Silence

Jacob: I realize that they're just kids, but I can't see them grow up in nothing, with nothing, except us. Look, the way I figure, they'll have more chances than I ever had. They can be something.

Ruth, sadness increasing: Is there no other way? Pause Is there no other way?

Jacob: Maybe the church'll do good for 'em. Besides, they'll get a good education, and make something of themselves. They would suffer with us. You know this.

Ruth, tears run down her face: I'll call the dean tonight.

Jacob: Please don't be upset. It's for the best. I bet they'll have a lot of fun, make great friends. Life in the cloister isn't so bad. Rise in urgency Ah, look. The bread is done. I'll get the kids. They're all sleeping in your room again, huh?

Ruth: Yes. Go get them; I'll cut the bread up. Jacob (almost whispering) … is there no other way…?

Jacob: Let God decide.


Act 2

The bread is enjoyed by the family. The three children living under Ruth and Jacob are Mary, 7, Simon, 5, and Mark, 4. They all have brown hair and chubby faces. Although very young, they seem to know the sadness of their parents, and reflect it in their usually calm dispositions.

Here we find the family traveling to the Townsbury Cloister, shrouded by forest in the corner of town. The children are dressed all in dark colors, while Ruth and Jacob tie together their best clothing for the occasion. They arrive, get out of the car, and enter the gates.

Ruth, with a face of faux happiness: Ok kids, come along now, hold my hands, there you go. We're going to the church now. Is everyone excited about going to the church?

Mary: Yes, momma. But what will we do in the church?

Simon remains silent. He is supposedly mute, for his lack of speech deems him a misfit amongst his peers.

Mark, in the slumbering confusion of childhood: How long are we goin' stay here, momma? Poppa, are you gon'a pray?

Ruth: We're gonna pray alright, Mark. We'll stay here awhile, and see how things go…

Jacob remains silent. He knows the fate of his children, and tries to hide his fears and swelling emotion through silentness.

Ruth: Come along now, kids. Here we go, into the church doors.

They enter the church. Behind the massive wooden doors lies an enormous house of refuge and learning. Nuns silently pass by without acknowledging their new guests. Mary and Mark are filled with puzzled terror at the sheer complexity of their current threshold. Simon pays little attention to anything that is happening; he slowly moves his eyes across the landscape, and shuffles behind his parents.

As the family waits in the doorsteps, a large, burly man by the name of Chester Stewen flies on his feet to greet them. He has pitch black hair, with a large scraggly beard. He is dressed in a large, brown robe, with white garments underneath, all supported by a large rope belt. His shining cross, sitting around his neck, and the Bible in hand signify his holiness.

Chester Stewen: Ah, good morning. You must be Ruth, and Jacob. A-ha. Here are your little ones. You must be… Mary, no? And you're Simon, and Mark. Welcome. I am Father Stewen, but you can call me Father S. This is my cloister. You will find it very comfortable and educational. He signals the family Follow me.

Father S, with a stern face, with a slight twist of excitement: Here is my office. If you ever need me, please, come and see me. And here- he moves about- this is one of the rooms you young ones will be learning in. He motions them to look inside You see? There is a vast amount of knowledge to be learned here. Our trained staff of clergy will do the best they can to fulfill your educational, spiritual, and physical needs.

The children look puzzled, except for Simon, who follows the strange man without speaking a word. His siblings are much more receptive-yet they are unsure of how to react to this situation.

Ruth, pleasantly: Thank you, Father, for the tour. I just need a moment with my husband and children. If you will…

Father S.: Of course. Take all the time you need. I'll be in my office.

Mary and Mark notice their father walking in the door. They were unaware they had left them in the first place. Slowly, they realize what is going on. They see the bags under their father's arms, the tears in his eyes, and the sadness their mother shows; they realize they are going to be staying here in the church.

Mary begins crying

Mark, with tears in his eyes: Momma? Why are we staying here? Poppa, why do you have our bags?

Ruth, kneeling down and looking into their faces: Don't worry, guys. You'll all be fine. This is going to be where you stay from now on, just till daddy and I get things situated, ok?

Mary: But momma I want to stay with you! I don't want to stay in the church.

Mark, wiping his eyes: How long will it take to get things sich-ated?

Ruth, reassuring: Oh, not that long, honey. Not that long. And look- you'll have Simon and Mary to be with you. You'll all have each other. And I know this might be frightening or sad, but we aren't leaving you all forever, now. We just need to sort things out. I promise, you'll all be fine. Let me see those smiles.

Simon looks her in the eyes. A single tear falls from his eye.

Ruth, comforting: Now, now my babies. You'll all be fine. Hush, don't whimper in the house of God. He wouldn't want to see you crying now, would he?

Mary and Mark: No, momma.

Jacob, looking stern and fatherly: Ok, kids. This is where we leave you, but only for awhile. If you ever get scared, go to each other. Mark, Mary- even Simon. Help each other out. And always know, we'll be here for you guys, whether you can see us or not. Be good, respectful. Mind your adults, eh? C'mere. Hugs the children

Ruth and Jacob: Goodbye.

Mary and Mark: Goodbye, momma and poppa.

Ruth and Jacob walk backwards to the doors. They wave and look on as a nun attends to their children. Mary looks back one more time before disappearing into the shadows and schoolrooms of the cloister.

Ruth, confused: Oh, Jacob. Did we do the right thing?

Jacob: It's in God's hands now, honey. We'll be back for them. Someday, we'll be back for them.


Act 3

Twenty years pass. Mary is now studying law, preparing for a life in politics. Mark has become an electrician-master's apprentice, and studied the ways of popular electronics. Simon has been dead for twelve years. When he was 17, he disappeared mysteriously one day while he was going with a retreat group into the local woodlands. Search teams failed all attempts to find him.

Their parents, Ruth and Jacob, never returned to them. What were unknown to their children were the circumstances their parents faced. After Jacob's job flop, he turned to local thieves and became involved with the nearby-city mafia. After three unsuccessful heists, he and his wife were kidnapped and never heard from again. The only clue was a scarf found in the woods, never identified.

Fast forward to 1977; Mary has discovered the secret life of her parents and brought it to the attention of her brother. Together, they hope to discover any leads in the case of their missing parents.

Mary, smiling: Welcome home, Mark!

They embrace

Mark: It's good to see you again, Mary. It's been so long. How're the books treating you?

Mary, rolls eyes: Ha, they're alright. But let's get down to the real business here; you know mom and dad left us when we were little. Well, dad apparently got tied to the mafia, and lost some money for them…

Mark, eyes widening: Whoa.. wow. I never would have suspected stuff like that. Did they find the bodies?

Mary, saddened: No, they didn't. But we can't let them just fade away like that. You remember when we were little? When Simon talked for the first and only time? What did he say?

Mark, scratching his head: He said something about mom and dad, and something bad happening. Boy, I wish he was with us today. What do you suppose it meant?

Mary: I'm not sure. We don't have Simon, but we have each other. Think! I could book those scumbags if I could only trace some kind of evidence to prove they did it.

Mark, skeptical: Yeah Mary, but who? Which mafia killed our parents?

Mary, serious: Mark- help me find the evidence. Your tools could help us track down any clues.

Mark ponders for a few moments

Mark: There is one thing I have. A while ago, I was testing a new machine for electron suction. You know, magnetism and such. It was for some product this developer wanted to test… Anyway, it failed. The machine actually shot out elections and beamed whatever was in its way, like a scanning electron device. It did the opposite of what it was supposed to do. I guess we could use it on any evidence and see if anything shows up in the scan.

Mary: Great. I'm heading out to the town's department and seeing if I can't get any evidence. Be back soon.

Mark: I'll go to my shop and get the equipment. Meet back in three?

Mary: Perfect. See you then.

Mary retrieved the scarf from the department; they weren't going to refuse her any ways of solving the mystery. Shortly thereafter, she and Mark scanned the scarf and found nail follicles scattered over it. They took it to a detective and found it matched her mother, and another man- their brother Simon. Mary and Mark were shocked by the results. They knew that Simon was somehow aware of their parent's dangers, and must have fled to find them. They searched everywhere for any clues they could get that would further their findings. However, nothing more was found. The mafia was not suspected, and in fact Simon, Ruth, and Jacob may very well be alive today, living in secrecy in some unknown place

Thank you

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.