The name of the new Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil exhibit at the Field Museum at Chicago. Named after Sue Hendrickson, the archaeologist that found her in Montana. After the fossils were found, for some reason, they were taken away from Hendrickson. They were later auctioned off at Sotheby's and bought by the Field Museum. The exhibit is a large undertaking by the museum and has generated a lot of local publicity. The museum, as well as the city of Chicago, hopes to generate revenue and tourism.

Sue (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sued (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Suing (?).] [OE. suen, sewen, siwen, OF. sivre (pres.ind. 3d sing. il siut, suit, he follows, nous sevons we follow), LL. sequere, for L. sequi, secutus; akin to Gr. , Skr. sac to accompany, and probably to E. see, v.t. See See, v. t., and cf. Consequence, Ensue, Execute, Obsequious, Pursue, Second, Sect in religion, Sequence, Suit.]

1.

To follow up; to chase; to seek after; to endeavor to win; to woo.

For yet there was no man that haddle him sued. Chaucer.

I was beloved of many a gentle knight, And sued and sought with all the service due. Spenser.

Sue me, and woo me, and flatter me. Tennyson.

2. Law (a)

To seek justice or right from, by legal process; to institute process in law against; to bring an action against; to prosecute judicially.

(b)

To proceed with, as an action, and follow it up to its proper termination; to gain by legal process.

3. Falconry

To clean, as the beak; -- said of a hawk.

4. Naut.

To leave high and dry on shore; as, to sue a ship.

R. H. Dana, Jr.

To sue out Law, to petition for and take out, or to apply for and obtain; as, to sue out a writ in chancery; to sue out a pardon for a criminal.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sue (?), v. i.

1.

To seek by request; to make application; to petition; to entreat; to plead.

By adverse destiny constrained to sue For counsel and redress, he sues to you. Pope.

Caesar came to Rome to sue for the double honor of a triumph and the consulship. C. Middleton.

The Indians were defeated and sued for peace. Jefferson.

2. Law

To prosecute; to make legal claim; to seek (for something) in law; as, to sue for damages.

3.

To woo; to pay addresses as a lover.

Massinger.

4. Naut.

To be left high and dry on the shore, as a ship.

R. H. Dana, Jr.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.