One of a basic set of commands used by Shepherds when commanding sheep-herding dogs, (esp. Border Collies). A command that slows the place of the dog as to not startle the flock and have them gradually move forward and opposed to the Walk-on command. (also see Sheep-herding commands)

Stead"y (?), a. [Compar. Steadier (?); superl. Steadiest.] [Cf. AS. stedig sterile, barren, staeig, steady (in gestaeig), D. stedig, stadig, steeg, G. statig, stetig. See Stead, n.]

1.

Firm in standing or position; not tottering or shaking; fixed; firm.

"The softest, steadiest plume."

Keble.

Their feet steady, their hands diligent, their eyes watchful, and their hearts resolute. Sir P. Sidney.

2.

Constant in feeling, purpose, or pursuit; not fickle, changeable, or wavering; not easily moved or persuaded to alter a purpose; resolute; as, a man steady in his principles, in his purpose, or in the pursuit of an object.

3.

Regular; constant; undeviating; uniform; as, the steady course of the sun; a steady breeze of wind.

Syn. -- Fixed; regular; uniform; undeviating; invariable; unremitted; stable.

Steady rest Mach, a rest in a turning lathe, to keep a long piece of work from trembling.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stead"y, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Steadied (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Steadying.]

To make steady; to hold or keep from shaking, reeling, or falling; to make or keep firm; to support; to make constant, regular, or resolute.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stead"y, v. i.

To become steady; to regain a steady position or state; to move steadily.

Without a breeze, without a tide, She steadies with upright keel. Coleridge.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.