Most expensive radios have a squelch knob, especially Ham Radios and CB Radios. You adjust the squelch knob until the static and background noise is turned off (basically turning the speaker off for low signals). When a higher powered signal is received, it has enough energy to break through the squelch so you can hear the transmission. The squelch should be set just at the point where the speaker is silenced for best use. If you are listening for a weak-signal source, turn the squelch all the way off. The hiss and noise will drive you nuts while you strain to hear the weak signal, but it's the only way you'll be able to hear it.

The Heuristic Squelch: "UC Berkeley's mostly nutritious humor source" - "intentionally funny" humor magazine founded 1991, published 3-4 times per semester, 11,000 circulation. Each issue of 16 pages is worth more than all the Daily Cal's published by the time one Squelch is.

Some example articles:

It can be found online at http://www.squelched.com/ .

Squelch (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Squelched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Squelching.] [Cf. prov. E. quelch a blow, and quel to crush, to kill.]

To quell; to crush; to silence or put down. [Colloq.]

Oh 't was your luck and mine to be squelched.
Beau. & Fl.

If you deceive us you will be squelched.
Carlyle.

 

© Webster 1913


Squelch, n.

A heavy fall, as of something flat; hence, also, a crushing reply. [Colloq.] Hudibras.

 

© Webster 1913


Squelch (?), v. i. [Perh. imitative. Cf. Squelch.]

To make a sound like that made by the feet of one walking in mud or slush; to make a kind of swashing sound; also, to move with such a sound.

He turned and strode to the fire, his boots squelching as he walked.
P. L. Ford.

A crazy old collier squelching along under squared yards.
W. C. Russell.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.