Sopaipillas (occasionally seen as "sopapillas" or "sopa'pillas" in Southwestern/Tex-Mex cuisine) are a Latin American bread, mostly found in Northern Mexican and Mexican-American cuisine, known for being puffy and light, and good with savory or sweet fillings or dips. There is also a Chilean version, different because it uses squash, and also very traditional.

They are good to serve alongside spicy foods, as the mildness will help to cool the mouth down, by soaking up some of the spice.

Sopaipillas

1 package active dry yeast
1/4 c warm water
1 1/4 c milk, scalded and cooled
4 C flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp shortening or lard
shortening or lard for frying

Dissolve the yeast in the water, waiting to make sure it's active. Add the milk.

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the shortening.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredient mixture, and add the liquid into the well. Work together into a dough. Knead the dough, minimum of 10 minutes.

Roll the dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into 4 inch squares, and fry in hot shortening until golden, flipping once. The shortening will be hot enough if the sopaipilla puffs up during cooking.

After frying, place on paper towels to drain oil.

These versions can be served as is, with any meal. They can also be dusted with cinnamon and/or sugar, and served as a sweet, with honey for dipping.

Chilean Sopaipillas

3 1/2 C flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 cup squash, cooked and mashed
6 tbsp lard or shortening
oil or shortening or lard for frying

Mix the flour and salt together well. Clear a spot in the middle of the mixture, and add the squash and melted shortening/lard to the spot. Slowly mix the two together, working into a dough. When formed into a dough, kneading, and then rolling out to about 1/4 inch thick.

Cut into circles, about 3 inches in diameter. Pinch them with a fork twice.

Fry in the oil until brown, flipping over partway through. Place on paper towel to soak up the oil before eating.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.