Well dressed.

This is the English version of smart, as opposed to the American version.

SMART is a full-text retrieval system built by Gerard Salton around 1970, widely available today, that proved the feasibility of automatic text indexing. It uses a vector space model.

slurp = S = smart terminal

smart adj.

Said of a program that does the Right Thing in a wide variety of complicated circumstances. There is a difference between calling a program smart and calling it intelligent; in particular, there do not exist any intelligent programs (yet -- see AI-complete). Compare robust (smart programs can be brittle).

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

A division of DaimlerChrysler which manufactures a car, the Smart. The Smart comes in two basic flavors, coupe and convertible, and a variety of different engine sizes and types. It is the cutest little car (2.5 m. long) that will never be sold in the USA. It is presently available in Austria, Belgium, Germany, Spain, France, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, and Switzerland.

The design of the body is by Swatch, the watch manufacturer. Thus, the colored body panels are interchangable. It is very fuel efficient, and reasonably fast, too. Also, it is good design

For these reasons, it will never be sold in the USA. A fuel efficient car that is only 2.5m. long? What would anyone do with that?

Source www.smart.com

Update: April 29, 2004 According to the Smart web site, Smart will be available in the US for the 2006 model year.

SMART originated from IBM's Predictive Failure Analysis technology. They broke failure into predictable and unpredictable (obviously it's hard to develop hardware for unpredictable failures such as a logic component frying). However, IBM (and other manufacturers) decided that there were enough gradually degrading problems with detectable warning sign to warrant creating some early warning tech.

The most common error reporting methods are among the following:

  • Head Flying Height: A downward trend in flying height will often presage a head crash.
  • Number of Remapped Sectors: If the drive is remapping many sectors due to internally-detected errors, this can mean the drive is starting to go.
  • ECC Use and Error Counts: The number of errors encountered by the drive, even if corrected internally, often signal problems developing with the drive. The trend is in some cases more important than the actual count.
  • Spin-Up Time: Changes in spin-up time can reflect problems with the spindle motor.
  • Temperature: Increases in drive temperature often signal spindle motor problems.
  • Data Throughput: Reduction in the transfer rate of the drive can signal various internal problems.

In order to use S.M.A.R.T. one must have an IDE hard drive that supports it. Most major manufacturers today produce SMART capable drives. In most cases one's BIOS will support smart, but even if it doesn't there are SMART aware utilities that can monitor these conditions.

The hard drive itself will analyze the SMART conditions and if values fall out of tolerance ranges, or trends are too strong, the drive will flag an alert condition in a SMART status register.


The above list is a direct quote and much of the information comes from:
Kozierok, Charles. The PC Guide, "Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology (SMART)," <http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/featuresSMART-c.html>, April 17, 2001.

SMART is an acronym outlining the key characteristics of a useful target:

  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Achievable
  • Resourced
  • Time-related

Compare and contrast-

"I'm going to contribute more writeups"
"By christmas I will have reached level 4 by setting aside two hours to produce a writeup every day"

Why use a SMART target? By considering the points above, you can identify potential barriers in advance and try to ensure they don't prevent achievement of the target. Even if those barriers can't be overcome, failure to meet a SMART target helps you see why. Consider our hypothetical target above- if by christmas you haven't hit level 4, you can look at the resource element: did those two hours every day get found? If they did, then you can start looking at other areas (the writeups kept getting nuked or were daylogs that ended up on negative scores, so you fell short). But if they didn't, then failure to meet the target can be attributed to you- although don't stop there, as other areas of the SMART system might be relevant (if there weren't enough days between setting the target and christmas to actually hit level 4, then you messed up the achievable part. Perhaps you can salvage the activity by shifting the time-related requirement to next christmas, if what you're really worried about is being able to ching!)

So are all the pieces needed, or was one just thrown in to get a snappy acronym? If you look at each part in turn you can see the framework fails without it:

  • If the target isn't specific, you can't really think about the other areas: how can you accurately budget for a task which you don't know the size of?
  • Being able to measure a target isn't exactly the same as being specific, but often having a measurable goal will enable you to specify it. With our example, it's easy: either you're at level 4+, or you aren't. But how would you measure the level of cohesion in a community or the popularity of a project? The measurement should be considered within the resource element too- whilst it's theoretically possible to take a census of all your users, can the logistic and financial costs be justified by the attainment of the target?
  • To what extent a target can be achieved is worthy of discussion in its own right. Obviously if the target is too easy, then achieving it becomes pointless: remember it's the activity that matters and not the target. Setting a target exam pass rate of 0% will guarantee you meet your target- but it won't do the students much good. But on the other side of the coin, a 100% target may simply be inappropriate in such an area in which case choosing it would make having a target pointless. Sometimes other factors will make this decision easier: if you only have a certain amount of money to spend or time to operate in, these will have a direct bearing on what you can achieve. If an absolute value isn't appropriate like the exam results, then it may make sense to make relative comparisons such as having more market share than a key competitor or placing in the top quartile of local councils.
  • The issue of resources is vital if you want to know how you intend to get to the target, not just what it is. It'll probably influence the time-related and achievable areas too.
  • An open ended target is of no value- if you want to achieve something, you want to achieve it by a certain point and "the sooner the better" is usually going to be true, so decide why this is the case and you've got your upper limit.

There are some variations on just what the R stands for, with some versions opting for relevant or realistic (I would consider that redundant if you're keeping achievable) instead and shifting the resource issue to achievable.

Smart (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Smarted; p. pr. & vb. n. Smarting.] [OE. smarten, AS. smeortan; akin to D. smarten, smerten, G. schmerzen, OHG. smerzan, Dan. smerte, SW. smarta, D. smart, smert, a pain, G. schmerz, Ohg. smerzo, and probably to L. mordere to bite; cf. Gr. , , terrible, fearful, Skr. md to rub, crush. Cf. Morsel.]

1.

To feel a lively, pungent local pain; -- said of some part of the body as the seat of irritation; as, my finger smarts; these wounds smart.

Chaucer. Shak.

2.

To feel a pungent pain of mind; to feel sharp pain or grief; to suffer; to feel the sting of evil.

No creature smarts so little as a fool. Pope.

He that is surety for a stranger shall smart for it. Prov. xi. 15.

 

© Webster 1913.


Smart, v. t.

To cause a smart in.

"A goad that . . . smarts the flesh."

T. Adams.

 

© Webster 1913.


Smart, n. [OE. smerte. See Smart, v. i.]

1.

Quick, pungent, lively pain; a pricking local pain, as the pain from puncture by nettles.

"In pain's smart."

Chaucer.

2.

Severe, pungent pain of mind; pungent grief; as, the smart of affliction.

To stand 'twixt us and our deserved smart. Milton.

Counsel mitigates the greatest smart. Spenser.

3.

A fellow who affects smartness, briskness, and vivacity; a dandy.

[Slang]

Fielding.

4.

Smart money (see below).

[Canf]

 

© Webster 1913.


Smart (?), a. [Compar. Smarter (?); superl. Smartest.] [OE. smerte. See Smart, v. i.]

1.

Causing a smart; pungent; pricking; as, a smart stroke or taste.

How smart lash that speech doth give my conscience. Shak.

2.

Keen; severe; poignant; as, smart pain.

3.

Vigorous; sharp; severe.

"Smart skirmishes, in which many fell."

Clarendon.

4.

Accomplishing, or able to accomplish, results quickly; active; sharp; clever.

[Colloq.]

5.

Efficient; vigorous; brilliant.

"The stars shine smarter."

Dryden.

6.

Marked by acuteness or shrewdness; quick in suggestion or reply; vivacious; witty; as, a smart reply; a smart saying.

Who, for the poor renown of being smart Would leave a sting within a brother's heart? Young.

A sentence or two, . . . which I thought very smart. Addison.

7.

Pretentious; showy; spruce; as, a smart gown.

<-- in modifying dress or appearance, now used in the sense of "neat, trim", or "stylish, attractive, elegant." -->

8.

Brisk; fresh; as, a smart breeze.

Smart money. (a) Money paid by a person to buy himself off from some unpleasant engagement or some painful situation. (b) Mil. Money allowed to soldiers or sailors, in the English service, for wounds and injures received; also, a sum paid by a recruit, previous to being sworn in, to procure his release from service. (c) Law Vindictive or exemplary damages; damages beyond a full compensation for the actual injury done. Burrill. Greenleaf.<-- = punitive damages?. (d) (Finance) Knowledgeable investors or bettors. "The smart money says that technology stocks are at a peak." --> -- Smart ticket, a certificate given to wounded seamen, entitling them to smart money. [Eng.] Brande & C.

Syn. -- Pungent; poignant; sharp; tart; acute; quick; lively; brisk; witty; clever; keen; dashy; showy. -- Smart, Clever. Smart has been much used in New England to describe a person who is intelligent, vigorous, and active; as, a smart young fellow; a smart workman, etc., conciding very nearly with the English sense of clever. The nearest approach to this in England is in such expressions as, he was smart (pungent or witty) in his reply, etc.; but smart and smartness, when applied to persons, more commonly refer to dress; as, a smart appearance; a smart gown, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.