Skunkweed is also the name of possibly the best live band currently playing in and around San Antonio, Texas. They are frequently sighted at The Laboratory Brewing Company, as well as at Tequila Mockingbird on the San Antonio Riverwalk.

They play a mix of about 2/3 original material, 1/3 cover songs. The original material is great, and spans many genres, often careening from funk to old-time country, then on to straight out rock and roll, before winding up with a couple of nice Irish drinking songs. Skunkweed is lyrically diverse as well, with songs singing the pleasures of drinking, self-love, premature ejaculation, inner-tubing, Xena: Warrior Princess, drinking, and girls with big ol’ booties. I am awaiting permission from the band before noding any lyrics, but below are some sample song titles, many of which can be found on their CD History of the Beer Bong.

Open Minded Redneck
Send in the Bitches
Titty Bar
Big Booty Woman
Drunk Again
South Carolina –known for it’s rousing chorus “I’m in love with a lady from South Carolina, hold on to me tight like a virgin vagina

They play quite a selection of cover songs as well. Last time I saw them live we were treated to such greats as:

It’s Tricky by Run DMC
Jenny (867-5309) by Tommy TuTone
Fight For Your Right by The Beastie Boys
Wild Flower by The Cult
The Candy Man by Sammy Davis Jr.

I have also been fortunate enough to join the band on stage to sing Sweet Home Alabama on a few occasions, since A) I knew all the words, and B) I bribed them repeatedly with clove cigarettes.

If you ever encounter the opportunity to see them play live, I hope you will take it. In fact, throw me a /msg if you do and I will personally buy you a beer!

Skunk"weed` (?), n. Bot.

Skunk cabbage.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.